keg leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakedasnake

Reaction score
I have searched around and looked but cant find an exact answer, i have a ball lock keg just put a beer in it about 3 days ago and carbonated it and beer looks good. The keg is leaking from the outlet side even when i have the outlet connection connected. I have a beer in there carbed so i dont know what to do. if anyone can give me a good explanation and let me know please thanks

Definitely try tightening the post a bit first.

You may have to take the post off to check it out. First you might just pull the connector off and see if you can tell where you are losing beer from. Is it from the top of the poppit, or from the base of the post. Many of these kegs have been around for a good long while. I find the poppits often are the culprit. As much as some of these kegs have been around it's not uncommon for someone to have replaced the poppit or something with one that belongs on a different stlye post.

If you can't tell where the beer is leaking from then you may need to pull the post to inspect your poppit and gaskets. Remove the gas from the keg, bleed the gas off with the pull tab on the lid, and remove the leaking post. Put some foil over the open post after you remove it. The problem areas you want to look at are the gaskets on the dip tube, the poppit, and the gasket on the post. If you have spares available you might just replace all 3 and put the post back on and see what it does.

This link may help you identify if all the parts match up.
http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

Good luck.

Back