Keg Leaking From...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is going on here? A 5-gallon Firestone keg has a leak somewhere beneath the rubber "cap"/handles. Before I go about removing the rubber, what can I expect to find underneath it that might be the source of the leak? Is there a welded seam that, somehow, opened up just a hair?
IMG_3610.JPG

Looks like that's above the sidewall/top lateral seam.

I would start by cutting back the rubber around both posts to see if there's a weld failure there. If you're lucky you'll find a leak that could be silver-soldered closed. Otherwise there may be a pin-hole void in the top under the rubber which could be anywhere - including the opposite side from where the dribbling is visible. You'll just have to chew away the rubber 'til you find it...

Looks like that's above the sidewall/top lateral seam.

I would start by cutting back the rubber around both posts to see if there's a weld failure there. If you're lucky you'll find a leak that could be silver-soldered closed. Otherwise there may be a pin-hole void in the top under the rubber which could be anywhere - including the opposite side from where the dribbling is visible. You'll just have to chew away the rubber 'til you find it...

Do you think it'd be better to just pry the rubber off in one whole piece? Not sure how easy it'd be to re-adhere, if it's even possible.

I honestly don't know how difficult it is to remove an entire keg rubber that is firmly attached. Hopefully someone will chime in on that...

Cheers!

Do you think it'd be better to just pry the rubber off in one whole piece? Not sure how easy it'd be to re-adhere, if it's even possible.
I had a loose one that a reattached. I only did this one, but I would say it is probably easier to reattach if completely removed as the adhesive needed time to set. I found this somewhat difficult to do as the partially attached top tries to conform to its normal shape. I ended up not getting a good amount of adhesive underneath.

Back