Keg Flow Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WrongCoastBrewery

Reaction score
So I just bought a keg kit and hooked it all up. Set the regulator to 12# just to push some starsan through the lines and fittings. Pressure equalized on the keg and then the flow was just a small trickle. Because I am a noob at kegging, I put the gas line on the grey connector and the beer out line on the black connector. I fiddled with the poppet in the ball lock for the beer out. Still just a trickle. I want to keg a brew tonight and carb with priming sugar. Thoughts? Also, is petroleum jelly ok to use on the orings?

So I just bought a keg kit and hooked it all up. Set the regulator to 12# just to push some starsan through the lines and fittings. Pressure equalized on the keg and then the flow was just a small trickle. Because I am a noob at kegging, I put the gas line on the grey connector and the beer out line on the black connector.
That's the correct arrangement. Black for Beer. Grey for Gas.

I fiddled with the poppet in the ball lock for the beer out. Still just a trickle.

How long is your beer line?

I want to keg a brew tonight and carb with priming sugar. Thoughts?

You can do this. I often do. I prime with 4oz sugar, put the lid on, and seal the keg with about 10-20psi of pressure, and then let it sit for a couple weeks.

Also, is petroleum jelly ok to use on the orings?
No. Never use petroleum products on rubber. The robber will be destroyed. Plus, I would think that putting petroleum on the seals would leave a petroleum odor and or flavor in the beer, wouldn't it?

It's my understanding that the lube is so that the disconnects s-l-i-d-e over the o-rings when you push down and don't get caught and roll and cause a leak.

Thank you for all the hints. The "new" o-rings were actually not. Flat on one side so I flipped them over for now. Sealed well. Flow improved a bit after I dropped the pressure more.

Hmm...

Is the beer out dip tube OK? Crushed or kinked? If it is, it'll foam your beer, and is about the only thing I can think of that would cause sanitizer to trickle.

Also, check the black QD over. Sometimes they have molding flash or other crap in the passages that can clog them up.

It's my understanding that the lube is so that the disconnects s-l-i-d-e over the o-rings when you push down and don't get caught and roll and cause a leak.

Yep, but I just give a quick squirt with StarSan and they're plenty slippery. The thing I don't like about the lube is that everything in the air sticks to it if you ever store your kegs unconnected.

Back