(keg) Does the 1st pour in the line usually taste bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saeroner

Reaction score
What i mean is.... So the 1st running after 24 hours that sits in the line overnight, it seems to taste not as fresh. I usually pour off about 3 oz and then switch glasses. Am i crazy?

What beer lines do you have? Cheaper lines usually impart a plastic type flavor.

I noticed the beer tasted plasticy on the first pour with a new line. After that it was nothing but kegged bliss.

I went through the exact same thing as the OP. I switched to Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra beer line and have never looked back, it really works great. I believe I ordered mine from farmhouse brewing but you can probably find it anywhere. There are a few posts on here about it if you try a search for it.:mug:

This is a common problem and it's because of your beer lines. Here's the thread I created when I first started kegging:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/ju...kegged-beers-baaad-what-heck-happened-495642/

In that thread I come to find out it's the vinyl beer tubing leeching a plastic taste into the beer. My solution was to switch to PVC-free Ultra Barrier Silver beer tubing:

http://morebeer.com/products/ultra-...crobial-pvc-free-beer-tubing-316-id-foot.html

and I haven't looked back. Completely took away that plastic taste/odor. For my line lengths (12 feet) at 3/16" inner diameter that equated to the first two ounces of beer. Switch your tubing now and stop wasting your precious beer! You'll be very happy you did.

Rev.

Some of us can never get rid of the rubber taste from the lines. It's what your tongue tells you. I've tried the expensive commercial stuff to the cheap. For me, wasting the first ounce has become common place. Is it a waste of beer? Yeah, but life is too short to drink beer that my tongue (and probably my f'd up brain) says taste bad. :mug:

I went through the exact same thing as the OP. I switched to Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra beer line and have never looked back, it really works great. I believe I ordered mine from farmhouse brewing but you can probably find it anywhere. There are a few posts on here about it if you try a search for it.:mug:

2nd for the Accuflex. Farmhouse had the best deal and has always done right for me. I'd also recommend the plastic mfl fittings specifically made for the Accuflex. They make the lines so easy to install.

FWIW...I've been using vinyl for 4+ years and have never experienced the issue you described...

I too have this problem even after I bought the Ultra Barrier Silver™ Antimicrobial and PVC Free Beer Tubing from morebeer as mentioned above, perhaps there is another factor. I wonder if there is something with the taps or the way in which the tubing is cooled.
My tube is basically coiled above the keg in a keezer. I think the taps are pretty clean soaked with caustic and starsan.

This is a common thing, but if you asked me to explain it... I couldn't. I just know that my first few ounces go down the drain and that you never want the first pint at your local brewpub. I think a lot of people just don't notice it...or run shorter hose and thus get a lesser dose of "stale" beer in their glass. Here's where I would postulate an answer, but physics undermines anything I can think of. The taste... It's not plastic, its just stale. I'd be willing to try some of the fancy barrier bev line (i currently use bevlex) if someone swears on their first born's life

Back