Keg conversion question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EBloom97

Reaction score
I have acquired two 15.5 gallon anheuser-busch kegs, which I plan to convert into a mash tun and boil kettle respectively, and I was wondering: how can I tell whether they are stainless steel or aluminum? They have a dull silver color, but there are a few dings here and there that appear shiny. They feel heavy enough to be stainless steel, but I'm not particularly sure one way or the other. I can't find any serial number or metal number on the keg, so I was hoping you guys could help me out.

Also, I was wonder which of these metals is easier to weld fittings to? I would appreciate any good advice I can get on the subject. Thanks.

They are stainless. easy way to tell start cutting if its a PITA its stainless
second question depends on your skills and how you are going to weld them both can be tigged, brazed or silver soldered

I am sure they are stainless. Has anyone ever seen an aluminum keg? Really? I have seen 2 in my lifetime. Just make sure you use a good quality stainless false bottom in the MLT :D OK that was a plug... jk jkjkjk any good welding shop can identify the material and weld acordingly. Or you can install a good quality weldless ballvalve (ya I got those too) :D OK i'll quit :)
Jay

Latest posts

Back