keg conditioning upside down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powermd

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The last time I keg conditioned I ended up with a lot of gunk jamming up the outflow of my keg and it was very hard to clear.

Has anyone tried flipping the keg upside down during keg conditioning to make sure the uptake pipe is kept free of fermentation residues?

I'm not sure I follow. Condition upside down for a couple of weeks? Then, turn it over to serve for the next 6 weeks? I am trying to picture what you mean, but gravity applies whichever side is up first, and the stuff at the top will sink to the bottom when the keg is turned over.

Much better is to keg only clear beer, and then only a tiny bit of yeast sediment will fall to the bottom. If the keg isn't moved, that tiny bit of yeast comes out with the first pull of the tap. I pour about 3 ounces, until the beer pours clear, dump that out, and the rest of the 5 gallons is totally clear. I'm not sure how turning it upside down for a while will hold the sediment at the top.

I guess it is my turn to do the Homebrewtalk liturgy and say, "So saith Yooper, and so saith us all." ;)

Keg conditioning does not mean pumping in unsettled beer. Let it clear then keg with priming and then only few ounces need to be pitched. I do this with almost all of my beers now and have no problem cleaning the tubes.

I have a best bitter on tap now that I keg conditioned upside down...the trick is to leave it upside down for serving at cellar temperature. I serve via gravity through the "in" post and shoot a little CO2 into the "out" post at low pressure when the flow slows due to vacuum. It works like a champ.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have a best bitter on tap now that I keg conditioned upside down...the trick is to leave it upside down for serving at cellar temperature. I serve via gravity through the "in" post and shoot a little CO2 into the "out" post at low pressure when the flow slows due to vacuum. It works like a champ.

When the beer level gets below the "in" post (typically the CO2, but the beer-out in your case) won't it no longer be able to pour? My posts are all 2-4" long, which would leave a few pints in the keg unreachable.

My posts are pretty short...I estimate I'll lose a pint or so with the sediment and the liquid below the "in" tube.

Back