Keg CO2 Carbing Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berock

Reaction score
So I kegged my first beer last night. Everything went great except one item. Before you burst carb you are supposed to release the oxygen in the keg and then shake it. I forget and started shaking it. I stopped after 3 seconds and released what presure I could. Do you think this will ruin the beer through oxidation? How quickly do I need to drink it before I would taste the oxidation if there will be any? Guidance appreciated.

I highly doubt you'll see any adverse effects. Oxidation isn't instantaneous. So long as you purged after you realized it I think you're going to be fine. I heard somewhere on these forums that Co2 is heavier than air so it forces the oxygen up. Once you stopped shaking the O2 should have risen up and then you purged it off. Good luck.

So I kegged my first beer last night. Everything went great except one item. Before you burst carb you are supposed to release the oxygen in the keg and then shake it. I forget and started shaking it. I stopped after 3 seconds and released what presure I could. Do you think this will ruin the beer through oxidation? How quickly do I need to drink it before I would taste the oxidation if there will be any? Guidance appreciated.

Should be fine, not enough time for oxygen to do anything.:rockin:
Brew on my friend.

Highly likely that the CO2 released from the beer as you were racking to the keg forced any O2 out long before the shaking began...

I think it can be saved...

You'll have to send it to me for de-oxygenation.

Unfortunately, the process is not very efficient. For example...when I de-oxygenate 5 gallons of beer...it uses 5 gallons in the process. So, you might say it's 100% inefficient.

The by-product isn't something anyone has any use for really..

BUT...I enjoy the heck out of trying!!

:)

The by-product isn't something anyone has any use for really..

Not so! It is very good for keeping a compost heap moist and it boosts the nitrogen content.

I've done that. The beer was still excellent, even weeks after carbing. I know oxidation can be a problem, but I really don't think something like that will introduce enough to be a problem.

Back