Keezer Keg Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hurphy

Reaction score
Just built my first keezer. Have a three keg setup. Brewed three batches of beer and kegged them all a few days ago….

long story…

Anyways, I decided to burst carb all three at 30 psi for 24 hours and the kegs were chilled to 38 degrees. Well, keezer (with my inkbird attached) decided to flash freeze all three kegs randomly during this force carb window. I removed the kegs the next day and thawed them. Gently rolled them to remix the beer and attached one keg to burst carb. Well…the beer is still flat almost a full 24 hours later and I have checked the kegs and system probably 20-30 times with a spray bottle of starsan and can find no leaks. CO2 tank is still full as well.

I am completely dumbfounded right now.

Two week 'set and forget' method with kegs at serving temp and pressure.
Or get one of the corny keg lids with the carbonation stone connected via a tube (to a gas post outside) and infuse the beer with CO2 per instructions. I've done both ways. The corny keg lid/stone will get it carbonated within 2-3 days if you follow the instructions. Do note, those tell you to make sure the beer is chilled fully before you connect up the CO2 feed.

For giggles, does your regulator have a ball valve on the gas out and is it in the "open" position. ;)

BTW, what did you have the inkbirdy set to that it 'flash froze' your beer?? Where did you have it's sensor located? Since I've never had that issue in mine, with the sensor in the chamber (suspended in the air in the lower 1/3 of the keezer inside). I also added a 110/120v box fan (large computer style) to move the air around inside the keezer to help keep it more equalized. Again, zero issues with getting the temperature stable. It goes up/down about 1F over my set point.

Last edited:
Issue turned out to be (or at least I believe) the temperature probe was too high. I dropped it down further and hooked up a space heater inside the keezer for emergency heating in case it were to happen again. So far no problems. The NEIPA finally carbed but doesn’t retain any head which I’m wondering might be a product of 13 foot beer line… Anyways… the Hefeweizen is ruined by my standards. All banana characteristics are gone now which makes me want to dump it yet my other beers I have going now won’t be ready for the 4th of July.

lol, could always get creative, and drop a oz of dry ice in a keg? just make sure it has a PRV....just in case.

Back