Keezer Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slappy White

Reaction score
I am about to buy a 16ft. chest freezer that I am going to use to store kegs...It is about 3 years old and does not leak or anything. Does anyone know the energy efficiency of something like this...how much does it cost a year or a month or whatever. Let me know what you think.

It all depends on what you are getting... my guess is is that you are getting a somewhat more enrgy efficient model due to it's age. I have a 12 year old freezer that runs maybe 5 min every hour or two... One thing that can be done is if you have empty kegs and empty space in the freezer fill them up with some water and star san, just let them sit there, all that thermal mass will help to make it so that the freezer won't have to cycle as often.

For the curious:

I have a power usage meter that I borrowed from work. It plugs into the 120v outlet in the wall, and the unit to be testes plugs into the meter. It gives many different measurements, but the ones that interest me are actual wattage and Kilowatt/hour consumption for a given amount of time. I just tested my kegorator this week. It is a small fridge with a dual tap tower on top and it fits 2 cornys and my 5# CO2 tank inside. running watts are around 100W and total Killowatt/hr was a meager 0.45 kw/hr for a 24hr period. So that adds up to about $1.35 + tax per month.

I tested our 9 cu.ft Chest freezer last month. (It is not being used for beer, just as a real freezer) It is about 15 years old, and runs at about 75 watts and costs about $2.50 per month if I remember correctly.

So a newer Freezer, that is running at higher temp range should be pretty cheap to run if you can keep your nose out of it and stop marveling at the kegs :D

dp

Thanks DP...was wondering how much this investment would boost my electricity bill...but it looks like it won't make too much of a difference...thanks

Latest posts

Back