Keezer Dying?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoCornOrRice

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, My keezer is holding temp at 50-52 degrees F for 3-4 days with the compressor running all the time. STC 1000 is reading properly and set to 37° +/- 0.5°, with a 3 minute delay between cycles and ambient temp of 70°. It has approx 18 gallons of beer in it.
I have unplugged it a few times for a few hours and hoped something might unfreeze, but no dice. Any thoughts on it? Thx.

Does it have autodefrost? What model?

I had a standup freezer with autodefrost freeze up the drain hole and proceeded to form a large solid block of ice on the coils. In my experience a couple of hours won't defrost it when that happens as it it also a design flaw on my refrigerator and the same thing happens.

is it freezing up? if so you may have a leak on your door seal, if not then it is possibly the refrigerant, if you have a Schrader valve on the low side you can check the running pressure which should settle between 4 and 6 psi.

Trying interventions from least to most involved. Unplugged for approx 15 hrs. It reads 54.5° now. Compressor has kicked on and is quieter than before, not sure what that means. Will check to see if temp drops later today.

Well, it went down to 50° then back up to 54. Compressor running all the time. I have just unplugged it again and will have to delay any fix attempts til next weekend. Bummer.

Back