Keezer Died! Now I have to bottle :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Dude41

Chaos coordinator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So the $40 CL chest freezer died (and I will get a $50 credit on my electric bill to have it picked up), leaving me with 3 kegs to deal with. I am considering transferring to bottles but have some questions as follows:

First, the temp of the beer is going from 40 F to probably 60-65ish F, will this hurt the beer (all ales-fat tire clone, amber ale, and a MO smash)? Simply, will these skunk?

Second bottling.... The beer temp is raised from the point that they were carbed at. If I attempt to bottle straight from the tap, won't I lose most of the CO2 from the solution and get flat beer in the bottle if I don't add sugar? If it is partially carbed and add sugar, how do I determine the proper amount? I have avoided bottle bombs to this point and wish to continue the streak.

And finally C) should I actually get the sugar levels correct, these were all cold crashed prior to kegging, will there be enough yeast in suspension to do the work required?

Or is there a 4th option not yet explored? That being said, I can't get the new freezer until I get the basement refinished and the new bar built--but that is coming in soon in the DYI forum.

Wrt skunking, you are fine. That happens with exposure to oxygen and short wavelength light. First I suggest you make yourself a simple bottle gun. If you have a bottle filler or racking cane you don't use anymore it can be as easy as getting a #2 stopper and filling bottles. I've been waiting on picking up a freezer or fridge that will work (a rare thing where I am) and have found it pretty easy to bottle and get very little foam. The carbonation is actually pretty darn good though I have adjusted my pressure since the beer is around 60F.

I do not believe anything bad will happen to your beer if it warms up. I accidentally flipped off the surge protector on my kegerator and it warmed into the 60s, no harm done.

Regarding bottling, could you put the kegs in a bucket of ice to cool it, then bottle it just like you would have from the keezer?

No problem with the kegs getting warmer, but you can't bottle from them then.

Why don't you just get another $40 freezer?

Thanks everyone.
The plan is to renovate the basement over the next month, and then get a new freezer that will go behind the bar. Until then i don't have a spot to keep the new freezer.
Meantime, i will let them sit, i guess. Better in my mind to put that energy towards the renovation vs bottling.

No problem with the kegs getting warmer, but you can't bottle from them then.

You can bottle fine from kegs in the 60-65F range(my keg room's temp). I've actually just been using a #2 drilled stopper and a bottle filler tube and gotten great results. Since the transfer is done under pressure (once about 1/3 filled anyway) there is very little foaming. Mind you I do have 20' of 3/16th tubing to balance the higher PSI I need to keep carbed but all in all it has gone over fine. I've been considering just filling from my kegs into bottles for the next while until I can get a 2nd hand fridge/freezer without breaking the bank.

You can bottle fine from kegs in the 60-65F range(my keg room's temp). I've actually just been using a #2 drilled stopper and a bottle filler tube and gotten great results. Since the transfer is done under pressure (once about 1/3 filled anyway) there is very little foaming. Mind you I do have 20' of 3/16th tubing to balance the higher PSI I need to keep carbed but all in all it has gone over fine. I've been considering just filling from my kegs into bottles for the next while until I can get a 2nd hand fridge/freezer without breaking the bank.

Thanks for the correction. I guess I just assumed it would be a great foamy mess. Someday I'll try it, but I've got 2 large beer freezers so I can keep a lot of kegs cool now.

Back