Keezer build - attaching collar to the lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewB2Brewing

Reaction score
I am building a keezer and planning to attach the collar to the lid, however, when I dry fitted the collar, I noticed that the existing and/or OEM brackets are very low on the collar. I'm concerned that it would put too much stress on the collar and over time crack the wood. Has anyone ran into this? I am considering flipping the brackets upside down, but would then only be able to attach the bracket to the base using only 2 bolts.

I am building a keezer and planning to attach the collar to the lid, however, when I dry fitted the collar, I noticed that the existing and/or OEM brackets are very low on the collar. I'm concerned that it would put too much stress on the collar and over time crack the wood. Has anyone ran into this? I am considering flipping the brackets upside down, but would then only be able to attach the bracket to the base using only 2 bolts.
I planned to do this. Decided my collar was too heavy, and just hinged the lid on top of it instead.

If you want to, you can buy some moderately thin mild steel plate (may have pre-drilled holes already ) from a big box home store, and use it to reinforce the wood across a much larger area, on the inside or outside of the back of the collar.

I've seen plenty of people do what your doing. Haven't heard of anyone having issues.
I just hinged my lid cuz I used 2x8 for my collar so I could put a keg on the hump in the corner, it's big enough for four kegs to fit with that one on the hump.
Maybe a picture of your problem area would help us give some ideas.

Back