Keezer Biuld and Moisture Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bspencer

Reaction score
I’m a long time browser but this will be my first post of hopefully many write-ups on some of my brewing projects. I’ve been meaning to write this up for a while now and I finally have the time.

Keezer Build

After looking at many examples on homebrewtalk I decided on a base design of a four tap system with an external CO2 tank. I wanted individual pressure control of the 4 kegs and a fifth regulator connected to a bulkhead for an external regulated CO2 connection to use while bottling and force carbonating. I found a 7 cu ft GE freezer from craigslist in great shape for the right price. I also found the five taprite secondary regulators on craigslist for $20 each. The guy had a box full of them and was nice enough to pull out the best condition ones for me. I lucked out on the price of the regulators and it allowed me to stay with the five regulator setup without buying a premade custom block. Getting all of the regulators to line up in the block and maintain a good seal with the nipples took a little futzing with, but in my opinion it ended up working out well.

My next step was the choosing a faucet and shank length. I went with the Perlick 525SS with 6” shanks. The build was almost a year ago so the newer faucet they released, can’t remember the model, was not available. I understand some people have had leaking problems with the 525SS overtime but from what I understand Perlick has stood behind their product and replaced defective units and seals. In hind site I should have gone with shorter shanks but overall I am very happy with the end result.

I originally used an Eva-Dry E-500 with a 120mm fan on the compressor shelf blowing across the keezer, but I found when I had multiple kegs on tap I started having moisture buildup on the far side opposite the fan. I recently finished a new airflow set up that is working perfectly. I got the idea from here. I am now using the same Eva-Dry E-500 with a new fan / PCV setup. It is an inline bilge fan, running on a modified computer PSU, adapting to 1-1/2" PVC. I recommend not gluing the PVC because you can re-aim the airflow if necessary and it makes cleaning up if you have a keg leak easier. The rack is a folding stainless drying rack made to place over a kitchen sink for drying dishes (home depot). I cut the tubes to length with standard tube cutter. I now have zero moisture problems even if I use the keezer as a fermentation chamber. I highly recommend this approach for moisture build up.

I am planning on doing a write up on the keg / carboy / line cleaner after I change a few things to make it even better. It performs beautifully but I want to be able to disconnect the vertical pipe to make storage, cleaning, and flushing easier.

See attached excel docs for parts list and pricing. A big thanks goes to homebrewtalk for all the quality posts that made researching my options much easier.

Cheers,
Ben

Keezer Build 01.jpg

Keezer Build 02.jpg

Keezer Build 03.jpg

Keezer Build 04.jpg

Keezer Build 05.jpg

That's really cool. What kind of fan did you use, and did you need such a beefy PSU for it? Most computer fans will work on wall worts. Very nice work!

Edit: I got so caught up in the pictures that I hadn't stopped to read the text. Question answered!

Thanks jbaysurfer. No I did not need that large of a power supply. I wanted to have voltage options (+12, +5.5, and +3.5) for various speeds or other possible DC power needs further down the line. I am running the bilge fan at +5.5vdc because it sounded like a jet engine at full power (+12vdc).

I'm about to add a fan to my keezer and really like the bilge fan pumped through the PVC but am having trouble with what power supply I should use. I am a mechanic by trade but zero electrical experience. Would you suggest going with the bilge fan or a computer fan?

I'm about to add a fan to my keezer and really like the bilge fan pumped through the PVC but am having trouble with what power supply I should use. I am a mechanic by trade but zero electrical experience. Would you suggest going with the bilge fan or a computer fan?

You could adapt the idea to work with a computer fan but mounting the fan to the top of the PVC vertical could be problematic. Rather than making a custom PSU with binding posts you could use a standard Molex connector for the fan connection. Search "computer PSU always on" because you will need to jump two wires together to manually power it on since you will not have a motherboard to send the command.

Nicely done. I think I have the same model freezer... Looking forward to doing the same build.

Thanks for sharing.

For moisture control I've been using fragrance free DampRid containers.

I see what you did. For moisture control in my keezer I have an EVA dry and a 40mm fan. I took a solo cup and cut a square into the bottom and glued in the fan and I glued the fan to the EVA dry. Pretty much to duct the air into the unit and circulate around. There will be an ever so slight ring around the top of the keezer when the compressor is on, but no moisture makes it to the floor.

Latest posts

Back