Keezer at home - Solution to transport beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dttk0009

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I have a keezer at home that I'm quite fond of, and while kegging makes the racking procedure 10 times easier, it's not quite as easy anymore to bring my beer over to a friend's place or party. So far it hasn't been a problem if I just need to bring a bottle or two, cause I just fill them up directly from the tap (I know, I know). There's a bit of carbonation loss, but if the bottle is opened within the day it's usually not a big issue.

However, I'd like to find a solution to transport larger volumes of carbed beer from my corny kegs to other locations. The solutions I've come up with are:

1) Picnic draft system for the corny keg itself
Probably the clunkiest solution although it'll let me transport as much as possible.

2) 5L keg system 'party star deluxe'
Probably the most attractive option to me, although I have read mixed opinions.

3) Growler
Limited in size but pretty much the cheapest option.

Anyone have any experience/feedback to the above? Can the 5L kegs be filled with carbed beer from a corny keg? Any recommendable picnic draft systems for the corny? Any other larger (1-2 gallon) options that could work with beer in a corny keg? Any personal experience?

Thanks!

I did over the Christmas holidays option 1 with a 20# tank... Never again. However this time around I would go with a 2.5 Gal mini keg

One of those mini CO2 tanks and a tap right off the tank. Need more? Fill a couple growlers up.

Easy, compact and still brings the draught experience.

I did over the Christmas holidays option 1 with a 20# tank... Never again. However this time around I would go with a 2.5 Gal mini keg

One of those mini CO2 tanks and a tap right off the tank. Need more? Fill a couple growlers up.

Easy, compact and still brings the draught experience.

That's definitely also a nice solution, especially since a closed transfer with the other corny kegs would be possible, but they're fairly pricy (at least here in Germany). Do these things work well with the CO2 capsules? Regarding picnic tap, is there a preference? I have a spare tap with pressure compensation lying around, figure I could just attach that directly.

I use half gallon growlers when I take beer with me in a small cooler, and use the black plastic caps that hold the carbonation better.

I use the picnic tap and a racking cane to bottle package all my beer from kegs. I have a draft tower and the growler filler attachment, but a cobra tap and racking works so much better. Way less foam. Get some swing top bottles.

Back