Keezer air manifold advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamc

Reaction score
Going to start my kenmore 8.8 keezer soon. Going to have 4 kegs in it. I have heard wanting an extra gas line for one reason or another.

Trying to decide if i want a double regulator and two 2-port manifolds or a 3-port and a 2-port manifold.

The keezer can hold 6 kegs (eventually). Do i want to accomodate??

Really would appreciate some advice

I would suggest you start with two regulators, one for Ales & Lagers, and a second for seasonal beers. If you will have Wheats or higher carbonated beers at the same time as Stouts/Porters, then you would need a third regulator to support the 3 different preasures. I persoanly use a seasonal approach. Ultimately, it's decided by your taste profile and what will be on tap at the same time.

Another thing you might consider, I've recently added a Growler recharge line to my Ales/Lager manifold, so now I need another port (yet to add) that is not driving an acutal keg. Check it out here... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/tonys-keezer-build-298720/index4.html#post4509329

For a good general setup, I would suggest two regulators that feed a 4 port manifold for middle preasures, and a 2 port manifold for high/low preasures that would change by season. If you want a Growler line, then it is likely a 5/2 split.

If money is no object and you want maximum flexability (and hoses everywhere) without a seasonal change, then 3 regs, with a 2/4/2 manifold split. But you can add this configuration later if driven there.

Tony

to do it over again, i would probably go with secondary regulators for each line. But that is some $$.

Thanks. I like the 4/2 setup idea. I wish i could afford a 6 regulator bank, but that adds up REALLY quick. Trying to stay below $1000 is tricky!!

I appreciate the advice

I went with two regulators. Reg 1 has 4 ports for carbing/normal serving pressure. Reg 2 has 2 ports for wtfever else I want to use it for. (I typically use it for carbing a new keg at ~20-30psi for a day or two if i'm impatient).

Also will toss in two get secondary regs. I just went from a 3 outlet manifold to a 4 reg with 2 outlets each setup - blissful! You need multiple pressures - at least 2.

Also will toss in two get secondary regs. I just went from a 3 outlet manifold to a 4 reg with 2 outlets each setup - blissful! You need multiple pressures - at least 2.

After reading jcaudill's post, it became clear to me that we all have different CO2 system configurations in mind when it comes to regulators, lines, and manifolds. Throw Primary vs. Secondary into the mix, and now you have your hands full of terms too. I'll try to clarify some specifics so you can make a decision that is right for you.

Primary vs. Secondary - Primary simply means that there is a high pressure gauge (tank) in addition to the low pressure guage (supply line). A secondary regulator does not have a high pressure guage. A secondary regulator can be closest regulator to the tank if on the same main as the primary tank guage, so primary doesn't mean first. You can argue that two on the tank mean that they are both primary, but let's not.

There is a golden rule is that you cannot run flexible tubing before the tank pressure has been reduced to line presure by at least one regulator. This is why you hear primary regulator mentioned because this is often where the tank pressure guage is attached. You can directly mount any number of regulators to your tank, but going much past two (one primary, one secondary) will start to make your tank tippy. If you go with the two regulators on the tank approach, then you will have at least two supply lines running to your manifolds. This configuration is the most basic, and can sit completely inside or outside the Keezer. Your initial decision is what will be inside or outside of your Keezer.

You can have...
- everything inside (takes up space in the Keezer, and tank pressure will read low)
- tank outside, but regulators and manifolds inside (extra primary regulator required outside)
- tank and regulators outside, but your manifolds inside (tank pressure accurate, easy access to adjust regulator presures)
- or everything outside (more lines need to penetrate the Keezer)

Remember that at some point, you have to enter the Keezer if anything is outside. Anytime you penitrate the Keezer, it can lead to sealing problems, which will cause moisture and condensation issues. There are drawbacks to putting everything inside, so this is not an automatic decision.

I personally have two regulators (one primary, one secondary) directly mounted to my tank (outside). where two supply lines feed two manifolds. I have 5, and soon to be 6 lines entering my Keezer. This is my design decision, and could be problematic keeping things sealed. I simply wanted to have more control of my shutoff valves, and I really didn't have a good place to mount regulators and manifolds inside of MY Keezer. Yours will probably be different.

If you go with a tank outside but everything else inside, then you will need a primary regulator on the tank to drop the pressure so you can run flexible tubing to the rest inside.

Hope some of this helps.

Tony

Back