keeping it cool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robs1642

Reaction score
i live in texas so summer a/c bills can be pretty high.

i dont want to invest in a mini fridge for my fermenting buckets/carboys

whats the cheapest easiest way to keep my brew cool (while fermenting)

right now im fermenting at about 73.... this seems like a bad idea..

thank you

I use an Igloo Ice Cube cooler with custom made lids and a bunch of frozen water bottles. I am currently lagering in one with an ambient room temp of 80deg, cooler is holding 38deg like a champ.

check out the link in my sig for another cheap idea that might work depending on your central a/c setup.

TheJadedDog said:
I use an Igloo Ice Cube cooler with custom made lids and a bunch of frozen water bottles. I am currently lagering in one with an ambient room temp of 80deg, cooler is holding 38deg like a champ.

Do you use a water bath along with the bottles?

the_Roqk said:
Do you use a water bath along with the bottles?

Nope, just have several bottles of frozen water in the cooler that I switch out every 24 hours. A water bath would work and probably keep it even colder, but I don't want to deal with the water.

This is what I do, as others have suggested. Keep a thermo in it so I know the temp and exchange ice bottles as needed. Too easy.

temp_controller.JPG

I also have had a problem with keeping my fermenter cool. I have a dirt floor basement and was trying to ferment down there but the temp was still around 80. I found a free solution though that takes no ice or water. I dug a hole in the floor big enough for a 6 gallon bucket and placed a 12 thick piece of Styrofoam over the top of it. The temp stays around 68 to 70 and I don't have to do a thing. I hope to have similar results in the cooler months.
I'm almost certain I have the only beer pit on my street!

Keith

TheJadedDog said:
Nope, just have several bottles of frozen water in the cooler that I switch out every 24 hours. A water bath would work and probably keep it even colder, but I don't want to deal with the water.

How do you know what the temp is and how do you control it?

Latest posts

Back