KDF copper/zinc Water Filters vs. Ions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCCOLA

Reaction score
I've been using store-bought RO water for brewing for awhile but am getting ready to install a couple 20" filter housings with KDF filters in // to reduce hydrogen sulfide odor from my well. These: http://www.waterfilters.net/WaterFiltersNET-KDF85-20BB-WF-Water-Filter.html#

The well also contains iron-don't know how much b/c I never had it checked but I get rust staining in my toilets.

My question is: Will this type filter affect the iron and ion concentration in the water to a significant amount?
I will get a Ward's lab report post-install if you guys think this may help my well water to be usable for brewing.

I have no idea about the iron but I've been using KDF filters for a while and would be curious about some post filter test results. They tell you to flush them for a few minutes before drinking from them due to built up copper ions if they've sat overnight. I've wondered about the copper and zinc ion concentrations post filter. I currently use an RO setup for 75-80% of my brewing water (also has a KDF pre membrane) and the rest from filtered tap which includes the KDF.

I have no idea about the iron but I've been using KDF filters for a while and would be curious about some post filter test results. They tell you to flush them for a few minutes before drinking from them due to built up copper ions if they've sat overnight. I've wondered about the copper and zinc ion concentrations post filter. I currently use an RO setup for 75-80% of my brewing water (also has a KDF pre membrane) and the rest from filtered tap which includes the KDF.

Do you use KDF to decrease sulfur odor? If so, how effective is it in that role and how long do your filters last?

Supposedly they do but I have never checked one out as I have no problems with sulfur or iron. I had an RO system that used a KDF filter as a polish filter that was probably actually not necessary.

I don't know what kind of iron reduction it gets, but I have well water that 'raw' tends to have a slight smell of rotten eggs and leave brown stains in the sink. I run it through a KDF85/GAC filter, then a catalytic Carbon Hydrogen Sulfide filter, then a uv lamp. The water seems to taste really good even if it sits in a bottle for a couple weeks. So far for the few home brews I've completed it seems to be working well. Personally I didn't want RO because I believe there are health benefits to drinking nice hard water. I've got the 10x2.5 filters, they've been running for about a year, the KDF filter was a 2 lb, they've probably got 1200 gallons through them roughly, still seems to be working well.

I don't know what kind of iron reduction it gets, but I have well water that 'raw' tends to have a slight smell of rotten eggs and leave brown stains in the sink. I run it through a KDF85/GAC filter, then a catalytic Carbon Hydrogen Sulfide filter, then a uv lamp. The water seems to taste really good even if it sits in a bottle for a couple weeks. So far for the few home brews I've completed it seems to be working well. Personally I didn't want RO because I believe there are health benefits to drinking nice hard water. I've got the 10x2.5 filters, they've been running for about a year, the KDF filter was a 2 lb, they've probably got 1200 gallons through them roughly, still seems to be working well.

Do KDFs need the carbon filter to improve taste and decrease odor? I was hoping to get away with just 2--20" KDF85s running in parallel without anything else.

Well I don't know if the carbon is required or not, I just went with it because I already had a two stage filter housing, and for the volume of water I was drawing the KDF filters with more KDF in them were pretty expensive. For any particular water supply I would imagine if you smell the water 'raw' and it smells OK the carbon filter isn't going to really matter. If it smells nasty, the carbon filter may matter, and probably the only way to tell would be to try it with the KDF only, and if the smell is objectionable, to then add a second stage of carbon filters. The housings and carbon filters aren't crazy expensive even in the larger sizes so it could be an option.

Well I don't know if the carbon is required or not, I just went with it because I already had a two stage filter housing, and for the volume of water I was drawing the KDF filters with more KDF in them were pretty expensive. For any particular water supply I would imagine if you smell the water 'raw' and it smells OK the carbon filter isn't going to really matter. If it smells nasty, the carbon filter may matter, and probably the only way to tell would be to try it with the KDF only, and if the smell is objectionable, to then add a second stage of carbon filters. The housings and carbon filters aren't crazy expensive even in the larger sizes so it could be an option.

Thanks man, I really appreciate your input. I want to get a handle on this sulfur PITA. I have a failed backwash/chemical injection sulfur filter that was broken more than functional. If I can get a year out of 2--$120/ea filters and get rid of this odor, I'll be happy.

I also plan to install a tankless water heater to get rid of the bacteria/smell from the tank sediment and bacteria growing in it.

Sounds good, on mine I draw the water for the filters right after the demand pump. The house also has a water softener system, but I don't want to use that water for drinking or brewing. The KDF and carbon filters I'm running seem to be doing a very nice job, the water tastes great and doesn't smell at all.

Back