kazoo sound from regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divi2323

Reaction score
Lately when I pressurize my kegs from my tank, the regulator makes this awful noise like a kazoo, the pressure spikes to 50-55 psi, gas vents a bit from the regulator. Then the noise stops, the pressure goes back to the set psi (25-30ish) and the system settles down.

Do I have a bad regulator? Fwiw, I've got two primary regulators and they both do the same thing.

I work in a lab and hear regulators make that noise sometimes! Haha I never associated it with a kazoo, but you're right, that's exactly what it sounds like. It seems like they make that noise when they're first bringing something up to pressure, but I've never had any vent pressure when they do it. Maybe you need to take it apart and clean it out?

One of mine does that. It is an older "economy" regulator and is slow to adjust when it hits pressure, especially when I am force carbing a keg and the co2 is flowing fast enough to start to freeze the regulator housing.

I've noticed that if I regulate the expulsion of gas through the vent hole it subsides and the pressure returns to normal. This only happens like you said when the gas is filling into the vessel rapidly.

So the consensus so far is this is normal and might just be how heavily I'm using it.

Back