Karbach Barn Burner Saison Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe9216

Reaction score
I am wondering if there are any karbach barn burner saison clone recipes out there? I have only found one recipe and it doesn't have the same ingredients or stats as the karbach website.

Email the brewery, most are happy to share. I've had the beer before and I would suggest looking up the cottage house saison recipe, it'll be really close.

I have emailed the brewery, but still awaiting a response. The cottage house saison looks like a good recipe. The part that I am completely guessing on in making my own recipe is the amts of lemon, orange, and grapefruit peel. I'm guessing the coriander seed will be about .75oz like most of the recipes I've seen. I am thinking on the peels to use 2 oz each. does that sound about right?

Barn burner turned me back onto saisons. I stayed away from them after I made one that came out WAY too spicy and with an alcoholic burn (fermented too hot) and tried another saison (one of the Icons from St Arnold) that I didn't care for at all. Barn Burner turned me back onto the style and yet again confirmed that Karbach knows what they're doing. Very interested in what you hear from the brewer. Please post back what you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

For the fruit peel, I've used sweet and bitter orange peel, up to an ounce in the last 5 min of the boil. More recently I zested a whole orange and steeped that in the boil for the last five. The only thing I'd worry on is making sure to not get any pith from the fruit, lots of harsh bitterness there.

I'm going to give fresh peel a try. I have already peeled and froze about 3-4 oz of each Lemon, Texas Grapefruit, and Oranges. My local grocery store did not have any Curaçao oranges or others listed as being used so I settled for navel oranges. don't know how they will stack up, but ill find out. I have been thinking about kicking up the amount sense the LHBS sells dried peel and in turn would weigh in less than fresh peel. Am I wrong in thinking this? I was careful to not get any pith in the peel as well.

OH and still no word back from the brewery yet either :(

Recipe so I have came up with so far:

Fermentables/Steeping Grains:
8oz Carapils (155F for 45 mins)
6lbs Briess Pilsen Light DME (60 mins)
3lbs Briess Wheat DME (30 mins)

Hop Schedule:
1oz Tettnang (60m)
.5oz Spalt (30m)
.5oz Hallertau (20m)
.5oz Saphir (Steep/Whirlpool 5m)

Other Additions:
2.5oz Fresh Grapefruit Peel (5m)
2.5oz Fresh Lemon Peel (5m)
2.5oz Fresh Navel Orange Peel (5m)
.75tsp Ground Coriander Seed (5m)

Yeast:
WLP-568 Saison with starter

ABV 6.5%
IBU 20.1
SRM 5.5
OG 1.066

The OG is slightly higher than the listed on Karbach's site, but everything else is in line

What yall think?

Back