kölsch decoction, or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramjam

Hopfen und Malz Gott erhalts
Reaction score
hi all, i was planning an all grain kölsch this weekend, and i was trying to figure out if i need to do a decoction mash or not, do you guys think it makes a better kölsch?

In 60+ batches, I've never done it, nor have I ever tasted a brew that was done with a decoction mash. But I can say this... almost every piece of brewing literature on the subject says with today's well modified grains, it's just simply not needed. I wanted to chime in on this thread to follow it so in case you do it, let us know how it turned out!
Cheers and good luck!

Shhh... that's the sound of a big can opening. A big can of worms!

A short 10-15 minute single decoction certainly wouldn't hurt, but you don't 'need' to do it to make a nice kolsch. I'm unaware of your experience level and the planned grist, but to really pull-off the unique Kolsch "spritzy/pils-bready/refreshing/almost-light-lager-but-with-a-slight-white-wine-tang" deliciousness, you might want to concentrate on 1) water profile, 2) yeast handling (including cell count and pitching/ferm temp), and 3) end-of-boil processes like kettle finings (moss etc) and adequate whirlpool/cold-break formation, oxygenation etc... So you get a nice clean/clear wort into the fermenter that's ready to be attacked by the yeast.

Then see how you like the results with a more simple mash and compare it to a decocted mash next time.

All that said, if you go the decoction route, I'd keep it to a single decoction towards the end of the mash proceedings. No need for much darkening and intense melanoidins for a Kolsch. Maybe pull a thick decoction (about 3-4 quarts thick mash in a typical 5 gallon grist) after your last starch rest.

FWIW, I've found decocting for 5-6 gallon batches is easier in a standard 10-12 quart stock pot that comes with typical cooking set than using a wider-bottomed brew pot. The smaller footprint (and clad bottom) reduces the need for constant stirring and virtually prevents scorching.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Last edited:
my recipe is,
8lb pils
.5lb carahell
3% acid malt
1lb light munich
hops,
1 oz tettnang @ 60 min
.5 oz spalt @ 15 min
.5 oz spalt @ 5 min
i am pretty new at water chemistry, i am using RO water and had in mind using 1 tsp calcium chloride, and 1 tsp gypsum per five gallons , i will have 1.5qt starter ready and i am using wlp029, i have done several decoction mashes without any problems. i may go with the single decoction i will have to see how i feel on brewday lol

You could do a decoction just because its' fun and traditional. Otherwise, I would just do a plain step mash or single infusion.

Back