Just went all grain....school me on my water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chizult

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going all grain so I got a water report done. Help out a noob and let me know what you think. I'm in the country so I'm on a well that is 330' deep. This is completely unfiltered, unadulterated water. My go to beers are IPA's but I've got an RIS on the ballot soon and now that I've converted I'll be playing with all kinds of styles. What kind of products do I need to purchase to amend my water?

Watertest.jpg

Oh, man- I have water envy!

That's nice soft water for brewing, with low alkalinity. I bought an RO machine, to get water like yours!

Your water is great.

You could easily just use a little calcium sulfate (or calcium chloride) or both depending on the beer you are making.

In the Brew Science Forum, we have a "sticky" thread called Brewing Water Primer. That would be a quick and easy read for you to see where to start with your water. Just as it is would be "ok" but I'd like to see some added calcium for good yeast health.

Goodness that water is pretty stellar. You could even make a decent pilsner with straight tap water. Try making your IPA with straight tap and like yooper said, add a little calcium via CaCl. Decide how you like it. Then for the next batch of IPA you can add some Gypsum to raise your sulfates a bit in case you need a bit more hop punch. But for non hop based brews, just a little CaCl is what I would add.

And be sure to check in the brew science section for good info.

As others mentioned your water is nice and soft. I would just bump up Ca a little to 40-50 range for good yeast health and Sulfates to around 60-80 since you doing mostly IPAs where you want hops to come forward. Little Gypsum addition to mash water and use your straight up water for sparging, its great.

your water is great for the lighter colored beers. The calcium is low however. You may have to adjust the mash PH up if you do ambers/browns/stouts and russian imperials.

Check out some of these spreadsheets (google them):
brun water
ez water calculator
Kasier water calculator

If you want additional information check out these links:

(if you really want to dive in deep) http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=An_Overview_of_pH

I wish I had your water. I wonder under your situation if you need to get your water analysed a few times a year (being well water)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestions and compliments. I thought it was a pretty good reading after reading Palmer's chapter on water and was really excited to see y'all agree. I went to the LHBS today and I'm set for my next brew as far as water chemistry. Thanks again!

Back