Just transferred first AG into secondary, couple questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdman200

Reaction score
So I just transferred my first all grain (American IPA) into the secondary with 1 oz Centennial and .5 oz Chinook for dry hopping.

After I finished the boil and cooled the wort, I hit my target SG of 1.068 perfectly. It was supposed to finish at 1.018, but ended up finishing at 1.014 (thank you Safale 05). According to BeerSmith, my efficiency was 75%.

My 2 concerns are that my post boil volume was a little low, I did a 90 minute boil with a batch sparge and I know my keggle design left a good amount of wort at the bottom that the valve could not drain. However, I bought the necessary tools/attachments to fix this.

My 2nd concern is the color of my beer. It was a little too light when I transferred it to the secondary last night. It was supposed to be about an 8.5 SRM beer, but instead it was a pale/light yellow color. What can I do to compensate for this next time?

Any tips for my next batch? I'm planning to do a Saison next...

We're you looking at the color of it through the siphon tune, or were you looking at the color in a pint glass? All beers look much lighter in color until you get them in a pint glass.

If even after that, it's a little too light in color, adjust your recipes accordingly.

Back