Just tasted my first home brew (again)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhommedieu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After obsessing for about a 10 days because a) my beer tasted yeasty, and later, b) losing pressure on my korny keg and not being able to find a CO2 supplier right away - I just tasted my home brew again (10 days later). The results?

The beer was delicious! Certainly not complicated as it's a simple extract kit but great taste and very fresh. Carbonation was perfect. Slightly hoppy on the finish and no yeasty taste - none. A beer that I'd drink not because I have to, but because I want to. Should be even better in two weeks when I bring it to a party.

Two questions: 1. If carbonation is where I want it, should I disconnect the CO2 tank or leave it on with a low (5?) psi? Then connect again to serve?

If I am transporting it somewhere, would it make sense to deliver it a day beforehand, to allow any yeast kicked up to settle again?

Best,

Steve

youll want to keep your keg at serving pressure, depending on your beer line diameter and length, and desired level of carbonation between 3 and 10 psi. Again, larger/shorter lines= less pressure, longer/smaller lines (good) more pressure.
the longer the keg can sit after transportation the better, cuz you will kick up some yeast, though if you primary/secondary properly, by the time you rack into keg there shouldnt be much yeast left in suspension to settle in the keg. I usually have a light dusting of yeast at the bottom, no more.

Definately to delivering a day in advance.

You will want to get a carbonating chart and leave your beer at the pressure required for the desired carbonation level typically this will be between about 7 and 12 psi. When it has been carbonated it is ok to disconnect the gas (as long as the gas post in the keg doesn't leak) because it will stay pressurized and carbonated. You will want to adjust the length of your beer dispensing line to serve correctly at your carbonating pressure. Typically start at 1 foot of 3/16" line per PSI and you can shorten from there (if you are at 12 psi start with 12 feet and see what you get if its too slow shorten the line

Back