Just realized that I forgot to put spices into the boil....what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schupaul

Reaction score
Well I have had my dogfish pumpkin clone in the primary for about a week now and I just realized that I forgot to add my spices to the end of the boil. Here is my plan: Put the spices in a shot glass and let them sit in rum for a few hours and then pitch it into the primary for the remainder of the time there. Does this sound about right or will be a big flavor problem in the end?

Get more than one opinion but I would imagine the best bet would be to boil the spices for the amount of time you would have in the boil and add the boiled water / spice to the beer. The only trick would be to boil the spices and end up with as little water as possible after the boil??

Anyone else have an idea?

From Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale:
During clearing stage, add a spice tea of 1-1/2 tsp "Pumpkin Pie Spice" or Pampered Chef "Cinnamon Plus." Steep spices in 1 cup hot water for 10-15 minutes, cool then add. Consider adding the spice tea a little at a time to achieve the desired flavor profile.

The same thing should work with your spices.

I wouldn't do rum--I've had rum-aged beers before, and the rum taste can be REALLY noticeable.

I think either option presented would work. You could always do both so that when bottling time comes, if the "tea" didn't add as much of the flavor as you wanted you could always bump it up with the extract. If not, you have some spiced vodka for use later.

edit: Just remember that when priming, any liquor will have some residual sugars in it, so take that into account if you add it at bottling and aim for the low end of the carbonation range you want.

Latest posts

Back