Just pulled the trigger... Did I do ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subliminalurge

Reaction score
So after much back and forth in my mind about how to go about purchasing my initial kegging setup, I just pulled the trigger an placed and order.

Went with kegconection.com and pretty much cheaped out on everything. Got his 2 keg basic system with the cheaper regulator, a 10# co2 tank, and the upgrade to a double body regulator. Also got 2 ball-lock kegs. I got the cheap one's they have with the oddball "racetrack" style lid, just for the simple fact that they were 35 bucks each versus 50. Picnic taps for now since the fridge I'll be using isn't one I can drill holes in anyway, and I'm already really pushing it money-wise getting this cleared with SWMBO.

All told when it shows up I'm about 250 bucks + the price of a co2 fill for a system that will allow me to keg two batches at once, and independently serve and/or force carb on each one or both at the same time. It won't cost too much more to add the ability to put 4 kegs on this system (which is the capacity of my fridge, and what I plan to expand to.).

That price includes some keg-lube, too.

So, given the going rates on equipment, etc... Does that seem reasonable?

Also, I've got about a 700 year supply of Star-San, and I'm stocked up enough on Oxy-Clean to last a few months. That's all I've ever used or needed for my glass primary, glass secondary, then into the bottle system. Am I going to need any other cleaning or sanitizing supplies to keep the kegs running at 100%?

I also ordered this same exact kit.... I held off on ordering the kegs though just in case I found some cheaper else where. Let me know how the "Racetrak" lids work out. Congrats! :mug:

Yeah, I kinda hemmed and hawed about the non-standard lids, but in the end I just couldn't really think of any good reason that they wouldn't be perfectly fine. About the only thing would be if the o-rings are different and harder to find, but the description didn't say anything about that. They do each come with one free set, so he must stock the right ones, and I only see the one o-ring package listed on the site so I'm assuming the same ones will work.

Anyway, for the price difference I figured it was worth taking a chance on.

I too have the same kit (except i have regular lids and 5# tank) for about the same reasons. Had em a few months and a 10 brews or so later I couldn't be happier. Sooooo much easier than bottling. You should be pretty pleased with your purchase.

The race track lids are supposed to have a square o ring. Not a standard round o ring. They don't always seal when using the standard o ring. Most of the race track lids have weird plastic spacers under the posts that need to be changed because they reek like soda syrup. I forgot where I found the plastic insert but chicompany has the special race track o ring.http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=376_1_3_6&products_id=2665
they were the only ones I could find with the proper gasket. The standard round o ring was a bit loose

What Jrems said. The racetrack lids are only slightly annoying, usually when the o-ring comes up the lid while you're trying to maneuver the lid into the keg to seal. No sealing problems beyond that. They use that plastic insert for an airvent, and it's possible to redrill the hole larger for a standard metal insert, but I just let mine soak in starsan for a good while and then sanitizer and haven't had a problem.

That price includes some keg-lube, too.
Also, I've got about a 700 year supply of Star-San,

So now you have a 700 year supply of keg lube to go with your Star-San... you have what you need... two more kegs and you are set... until you need two more kegs... then just two more.. then maybe a couple of spares...:mug:

Yeah, I envision eventually having 8 or so kegs. 4 on tap and 4 or so on deck and/or aging.

Sounds like no major issues with the racetrack lids. I'll have to make sure to bookmark that link to the source for the correct o-rings... For the price difference I can deal with that especially considering I was forking out for the whole system and needed to keep the cost down as much as reasonably possible...

I suppose if they do cause me any frustration down the road I can replace them with standard style kegs an throw them on craigslist.

My first setup was 4 kegs and a 4 way manifold with a single body regulator. I wish I would have got the dual body reg and used 2 way couplers to enable 4 kegs.

You can just buy 2 Y gas connectors for $2 each and serve 2 kegs from each reg.

Actually, my plan is to add a 3-way manifold. 3 kegs off one regulator, then the 4th can be force carbing or serving at a different pressure.

Just got to thinking... Does anyone know offhand if the racetrack style kegs are the same diameter as the standard ball locks? My determining factor between ball vs pin is that I can get 4 ball locks in the side-by-side fridge I'll be using vs. 3 pin locks.

Not a huge deal, but am curious.

Also, anyone who has ordered a kit from kegconnection before, how quick are they on shipping? Placed the order online late sunday night, any chance I'll have the stuff for this weekend?

My order in early August came super fast, but my order in late August took a while to be shipped (5 or 6 business days + transit time). But they do have amazing prices and great quality stuff. Maybe they've caught up on orders by now and yours will be shipped quick.

Just got to thinking... Does anyone know offhand if the racetrack style kegs are the same diameter as the standard ball locks? My determining factor between ball vs pin is that I can get 4 ball locks in the side-by-side fridge I'll be using vs. 3 pin locks.

When I use to work for Coke in college (20 years ago), their pin locks had racetrack style lids. Any chance these are converted pin locks? Haven't fooled with kegs since then, so that may have changed. Probably setting up my keg system later this year, so need to figure all of this out I guess.

subliminalurge said:

Not a huge deal, but am curious.

Also, anyone who has ordered a kit from kegconnection before, how quick are they on shipping? Placed the order online late sunday night, any chance I'll have the stuff for this weekend?

Unless they are converted pin locks, they are the same dimensions as standard ball lock kegs.

I got the same setup from keg connection but with normal lids. Couldn't be happier. I threw all my old bottles far away.

Back