Just ordered

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At first I was like, they are $35 from lowes near me.

Then I looked and they are the same price (10 gallon Lowes) but it does not look like one is near you.

And if they were, they are still the same price, so Good for you!

I use a brew bag for mine (made for the 10 gallon coolers) and love it. Are you going bag or false bottom?

where are you planning on getting your valves and bulkheads?

At first I was like, they are $35 from lowes near me.

Then I looked and they are the same price (10 gallon Lowes) but it does not look like one is near you.

And if they were, they are still the same price, so Good for you!

I use a brew bag for mine (made for the 10 gallon coolers) and love it. Are you going bag or false bottom?

where are you planning on getting your valves and bulkheads?

Didn't check local Lowes, but did check HD and theirs was $10 more than Amazon. I loved the reviews where people said they only lost like 1* over an hour. Much better than my 5 g Colman.
I BIAB and so only would be looking for valves and would get them at HD or other local hardware.

I BIAB and so only would be looking for valves and would get them at HD or other local hardware.

for valves I have ordered these 3 times, and am actually going to order another today for a spare. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-2-Stainless-Steel-Weldless-Compact-Ball-Valve-Barb-Homebrew-Beer-Kettle-Pot/32607390239.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.CINWuD

normal price is $12.50 shipped, on sale for $11.25 quality is good, no leaks and I have used them for more than 10 batches so far. key is to not overtighten, only hand tight. especially on the cooler.

But for the cooler I use flat silicone washers that I had around. Shipping time for these is 13 days to me, I am in Chicago.

for valves I have ordered these 3 times, and am actually going to order another today for a spare. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-2-Stainless-Steel-Weldless-Compact-Ball-Valve-Barb-Homebrew-Beer-Kettle-Pot/32607390239.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.CINWuD

normal price is $12.50 shipped, on sale for $11.25 quality is good, no leaks and I have used them for more than 10 batches so far. key is to not overtighten, only hand tight. especially on the cooler.

But for the cooler I use flat silicone washers that I had around. Shipping time for these is 13 days to me, I am in Chicago.

Why is everything made in China these days??

Because people love to spend the least amount of money on things. Then it breaks and they spend again, and again. But they got a "deal." Not realizing that if you buy something quality in the first place it will last and you save in the long run.

Because people love to spend the least amount of money on things. Then it breaks and they spend again, and again. But they got a "deal." Not realizing that if you buy something quality in the first place it will last and you save in the long run.

I always search for Made in America and am willing to pay more for it so I know American workers are getting paid. For the past few years I have been buying New Balance running shoes as they have a factory here in the States.

I always search for Made in America and am willing to pay more for it so I know American workers are getting paid. For the past few years I have been buying New Balance running shoes as they have a factory here in the States.

Same here. Perfect example are the guys I work with that buy garbage work boots at Wal-Mart. They think I am crazy for spending $230+ for a pair of made in USA Red Wings. They go buy a $49 pair every 6 months because they fall apart, and they got back problems from standing on junk all day. Meanwhile mine are as comfortable as tennis shoes and over 4 years old and still look good. Just replace the insoles every now and then. But they are "saving," lol.

China goods are like donuts. You know you shouldn't and most of the time you don't, but sometimes you just gotta go with that cheap ****ty thing that makes you feel bad inside.

An extremely corrupt and oppressive communist government that has almost no laws regarding wages and worker safety, there are probably more people living on less than $500 dollars a month in China, than there are people in the entire U.S, and that is no exaggeration. There was a great famine in China in the late 50s and early 60s, that killed somewhere around 30 million (according to which reports you believe) but the government tired desperately to cover it up, and no one in the U.S. ever mentions it. That's about half of all that were killed in the entirety of World War ll! I certainly don't like buying things from China, and I always try to find U.S. made items, and I will pay more for them if I can afford it, but when I buy something made in China I try to tell myself that someone there has a job; where as they would otherwise be farming for their own food, often times going to bed with an empty stomach. Even that doesn't console me much, when I see factories in my own hometown moving overseas though.

Anyway sorry for that.

You'll love that cooler, I've used a couple myself, barely lose a degree over the mash, if that. I bought my first couple of bulkhead kits, but I figured out I can find all the stuff at Lowes or HD, no shipping fees, no waiting. Just be sure to get the "orange looking" silicone gaskets. I've used the round ones but the flat ones are better in my opinion. If you want to save some more money, you don't actually need a 1/2 inch valve either, you can get by with smaller.

Good luck!

Getting back on topic. LOL It arrived today and to my supprise the bag I had ordered for my 5 gal cooler fits this one also. Now down to HD tomorrow to replace the push button gap w/some brass (American made I hope) :tank:

Bought 2 nipples made in America and a valve made in Italy at HD. Nipples to short....Will go back tomorrow and make some changes. Cost was $30. LOL

Bought 2 nipples made in America and a valve made in Italy at HD. Nipples to short....Will go back tomorrow and make some changes. Cost was $30. LOL

Had to return them as I couldnot find flexable washers to make a water tight seal. Went to another local hardware store and all their parts came from China and were more expensive than the one listed above...

So guess what? I'm gonna buy the one from China listed above for half the cost of the local supply also from China. LOL

:mug:

As far as my post goes, Yes, buy american when possible.

and well, did a search, expected 20 or higher

and ordered up one of these to test:
http://www.buyfittingsonline.com/st...e-1-piece-standard-port-1000psi-wog-91-P.aspx

I agree with the boot analogy. (all though I prefer Carolina boots). but that said, just because it's chinese does not mean it is low in quality. a lot of it is, a lot of it is not, it all depends on what you are buying.

As far as my post goes, Yes, buy american when possible.

and well, did a search, expected 20 or higher

and ordered up one of these to test:
http://www.buyfittingsonline.com/st...e-1-piece-standard-port-1000psi-wog-91-P.aspx

I agree with the boot analogy. (all though I prefer Carolina boots). but that said, just because it's chinese does not mean it is low in quality. a lot of it is, a lot of it is not, it all depends on what you are buying.

I don't think I can site one example of something that I have that is made in china and is quality. Everything in today's consumer society is designed to fail so you buy more.

My Chinese order arrived Saturday. Looks pretty good. Took about 3 weeks. Think I'll order a second one. Mahalo again for the link.

My Chinese order arrived Saturday. Looks pretty good. Took about 3 weeks. Think I'll order a second one. Mahalo again for the link.

Waited 4 months to long to order the second one. Item no longer avaliable the link says.

Guess it's down to HD and buy AMERICAN for about $30+

Back