Just Order Kit, Air Lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K5MOW

Reaction score
Hi all

I just orderd the Better Basic Starter Kit from Northern Brewer. My first batch is going to be a Canadian Ale. When I get the beer in the primary feermentater 6 gallon carboy. Do you all think I could use the Air lock on the carboy or do you think I need to use the Blowoff hose. I would like to use the air lock if I can.

Thanks Roger

This is one of those "it depends" questions. If it is a smallish beer you could probably use the airlock. A lot of us (including myself) opt to use a blowoff just to be safe. Better to use it than clean up a big ass mess in the morning.....

Have the blow off tube on standby just in case sometimes its not needed if the activity kicks up put in on and after it settles down you can put it back on but if you are leaving it unattended the best bet is the blow off tube

If you think there is any chance of a vigorous ferment, put the blowoff tube on so you don't have to worry about the cleanup. If it's going to need it, it will happen in the middle of the night and you won't know if it needed it until you start cleaning the ceiling in the morning.

Well what do you think of useing the blowof tube for about 4 days then putting the air lock on?

Roger

Latest posts

Back