just made my first ever batch of malt vinegar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredthecat

The original homebrewer™.
Reaction score
i stupidly left the water in the blow off tube bucket sit for weeks on end without thinking about it. funny enough i think it was mosquito related rather than fly.

haven't dumped it yet, and not completely sure but it smells like vinegar and there are some white spots floating on top. any suggestions?

I might have to try making some of this now... Maybe pull some sparge runnings from a future batch and try making vinegar from it... I don't use much vinegar (at all) so having some that I made would be a nice touch...

are you sure it wasn't a fruit fly? those things are vectors of infection.

how could it make vinegar that quickly? i though it took a LOT of time and oxygen to produce vinegar.

if you don't need to use that fermenter for a long time, i say let it sit for a year and see what happens. i LOVE sour beer, especially flemish reds with lots of vinegar.

the only issue is that wild yeast and infections will ferment sugar that is not fermentable by "clean" yeast. if you bottle now you may create bottle bombs since the wild yeast continues to ferment for a long time at a slow rate.

Back