Just lost my second 10 gal batch to fruit flies,days before kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jolsen

Reaction score
Just very sad to announce this,but I think I’ve learnt my lesson.i should’ve never went with a loose lid bucket, and just stuck with my other Carboys and air locks. Only my second attempt with this bucket, this time I thought apple cider vinegar would possibly keep them from getting to my beer, but once again,10 gallons will go down the drain tomorrow. It’ll be another sad day

You’ve come this far. Keg it and see what happens. What have you got to lose?

I agree w/brewbama. A few fruit flies isn't a reason to dump it.
Or are there thousands of them in there?
Any reason you're using a bucket with a loose lid?

Well I wanted a larger fermentor, had read a lot of posts saying no problem with loose lid buckets. Tried it the first time almost a year ago, had to leave town, when I got back it was a fruit fly frenzy. Did some more reading, thought to myself if I put out a few apple cider vinegar traps it should be ok. For the most part it was working. I left town to take the kids to hockey again, came home late last night to be find that I can see about a dozen below the opaque lid crawling around. I will be opening tonight, once kegs are cleaned/sanitized because I’ve got another full day of kids hockey. Maybe I will try to pull the top layer with a turkey baster and see what happens, but with the number flying around,I’ll prob get a lot more once the lid is wide open and I start to syphon

No advantage to using a loose lid that I can think of, except ease of opening I guess. Definitely get a bucket with a lid that fits on it, with a gasket.

I use a loose lid. But I put a large garbage bag (with a clip to close it) around the plastic bucket to keep insects out.
Not that I had problems, just as a precaution.

Let me tell you, I would filter those flies out when transferring it to a keg and drink that stuff. They may even help head retention from the additional protein.

Well, kegged it up today, it had an off taste but some of that may have been in my head. There was a couple dozen floating on top and I really couldn’t tell how many were in the trub on the bottom. I’ll just try to drink it up ASAP. Thanks for the tips, I think that’s the last time I use that fermentation bucket

Back