Just kegged a Porter, can I add vanilla beans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razorbrewer

Reaction score
So I just kegged a Porter that I brewed up from a Midwest LME kit. My brew partner, who is just as green as I am, suggested we add some vanilla to it. My question is, can this be done? I'm currently carbing the beer via forced CO2 in my corny keg. My thoughts were to buy 2-3 vanilla beans, slit them with knife, throw them into a hop bag and sink it to the bottom of the keg via some stainless steel ball bearing or marbles. Thoughts? I don't want to do this if I raise the risk of ruining the beer substantially or if it will impart very little flavor. Since I've never done this sort of thing before, I figured I'd ask the experts here. Thanks in advance.

I did this recently to a mead using the sack and sinking it with marbles with great results. I'm guessing since you're force carbing, that you are at lower temps. You'll probably get better extraction at room temp, but I imagine lower temps will work as well. Another trick I use is tying some dental floss (unflavored) around the hop bag and run that up through the lid of the keg. I'll taste the beer every day or so, until the flavor is right where I want it, then I'll pull out the hop sack via the floss. This works with dry hopping, adding coffee, oak, cacao nibs, etc. As far as sanitation goes, I usually put my beans in a mug with a little bit of water and steam them in the microwave for a minute or so.

You'll definitely want to take it out before it's too much vanilla. That means Samples! Don't drink so much that's it's gone before the flavor's right...

just kegged and finished a s'mores stout. i boiled with 5 min left with 2 vanilla bean and racked on top of 2 finely chopped vanilla beans and the vanilla wasnt overpowering at all. vanilla seems likes a strong flavor but its hard to make it too much unless you add WAY too much. The maltyness of the porter of stout will balance out quite a bit of it. from what i tasted its pretty forgiving, unlike some of the flavors extracts where every 1/4 oz makes a difference.

my beer sat on top of the vanilla for a pretty long time. so if you are adding it to the keg and plan on finishing the keg within a few weeks you have nothing to worry about in the overpowering department.

so other then being very clean you have nothing to worry about in ruining your beer.

I'm assuming I need to boil the hop bag, marbles, dental floss or string, and anything else that will go in the brew? Or can I spray everything with Star San, vanilla beans included? Basically I'm looking for the best sanitization for everything.

Star san should be fine. I've never had any problems with a quick soak in star san solution. Not too sure about the vanilla beans, as it would be hard to get them fully coated in star san with all the nooks and crannys they have. Thats why I steam them.

go for it and you could "sanitize" the beans with a little vodka buorbon etc... The little bit that you would soak them in would work perfect and not add any flavor. Good luck I'm under pressure the brew a bourbon vanilla porter. Only diffrence from you was I added 10 oz of makers mark. So be prepared to do it again

I'm intrigued by this. Is there any reason not to just soak everything (hop bag, string, etc) in booze and skip the star san/boiling altogether?

go for it and you could "sanitize" the beans with a little vodka buorbon etc... The little bit that you would soak them in would work perfect and not add any flavor. Good luck I'm under pressure the brew a bourbon vanilla porter. Only diffrence from you was I added 10 oz of makers mark. So be prepared to do it again

From what I've read on other threads, liquor is not a good sanitizer. From what I've read, bacteria, viruses and mold can't grow in it, but it does not kill them.

I only put the beans in bourbon. The other sutff gets starsan. I've never had any issues with off flavors due to soaking in alchohol. The higher the proof the better. I'm pretty sure most of my beans have also been preservered in a small amount of bourbon

Back