Just had my first beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heffy

Reaction score
Well I just had my first beer from my first batch I have ever made. I am still going to let it age a bit longer, but I am fairly satisfied. It is coopers pilsner, so fairly light. It had a nice head when I poured it into my glass. The smell was strong and sweet, and it seems to be a light beer and is smooth. It has a strong taste to it as well and is really bitter. Its not the best beer I have had but not the worst either so I am pleased with my first outcome. I can only expect better as I let it age longer. It came out to just under 4.5%. How was your first beer from your first batch? If I had to rate it out of 10 I would give it a 5 or 6. I am very impressed that my first batch has turned out though and is easily drinkable.

Congratulations! The good news is that the first brew is both the toughest and it only gets better as you experiment and home in on the tastes you enjoy. Nice to keep the production going because you won't be happy with store bought from here on.

Congratulations! Your beer should taste even better in a few weeks.

My first one was Milwaukee Amber ale. It turned out a little less carbonated than I would have liked, but after a few weeks in bottles it literally disappeared off my shelves. Now I wish I could just go out and buy some more of it!

Congratulations.
If you can do one brew, then you can do a second one better, and so it goes on.

You asked "How was your first beer from your first batch?"

I don't really have a clue, but each bottle I drank was noticeably better than the previous one. I suspect that if I hadn't started drinking it until a month after I finished the last bottle, it might have been pretty good.:)

-a.

ajf said:
I don't really have a clue, but each bottle I drank was noticeably better than the previous one. I suspect that if I hadn't started drinking it until a month after I finished the last bottle, it might have been pretty good.:)

-a.

You are right about that! I couldn't wait and drank about half of my first batch before it was at its peak. My second batch turned out even better (third one-- got a little over confident, I think, and had a little bit of a drop-off).

4th batch is almost ready for the secondary now.

Heffy, don't be too judgemental on your first beer. It sounded pretty good from your description. Give it some time to mellow out if you can. My first beer was my best and my worst. A few months of aging can really turn a 5 into a 7.:D

I am about ready to put my very first batch into bottles. I hope that at least it is fairly drinkable. It tasted pretty good when I transferred it. I think that I would be happy if my first batch came out as good as you describe yours.

good on you mate my 1st beer was a coopers pale ale it was good would have been better if i let it age but you get thet when you dont have stock to drink :)

You got to brew like mad to get a stock!! That's all there is to it.

My first 5 gal batch of homebrew tasted like a slightly bitter draught lager, like Kokanee Gold. I was so thrilled. I still rate that batch at 11/10 just because I was so happy it wasn't horrible. I'd probably give it 3/10 now, but for the first batch... well, let's just say we love ugly babies too, hmm?

This is a seriously addictive hobby.

Congrats. I know how excited you must be.

One word of advice though...(OK< more than one word)...don't rush it. Try to keep your hands off of it until you think it's ready. You'll have more GOOD beers to drink when it's ready instead of when it's young.

Of course, one of the common sayings among homebrewers is that your beer is ready when you've opened the last bottle in the batch.;)

Latest posts

Back