Just got 3 garbage bags of cascade hops,now what.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewvy

Reaction score
I just got back from driving around Moxie WA,the worlds biggest hop region, and a grower was kind enough to let me fill up three garbage bags full of cascade hops, that were just stripped off the vine ready to be pressed into 200# bales for storage. Also should mention he refused any money from me. I was hoping to get some storage information for these fresh hops.I was thinking 'bout compacting them into a corny keg and shooting some co2 or no2 into it. Does anybody with bulk fresh hops experience have any ideas.

I don't know about how long they'll keep as wet hops. I would make a whole bunch of fresh hop IPA, dry out the rest and vacuum seal 'em.

they seem dry, is there a way to figure oput moisture content,i forgot to ask the grower 'bout this.

pillowcase in dryer at lowest setting is something i read, will this work? i dont want to ruin these.

as a free member can i insert pics, or do i have to do the online url picassa thing?

the pillowcase thing might work, but I'm not sure what temp the dryer works at. The lower the temp the better. don't cook them just dry them.

That sounds likely to be enough hops to justify buying a dehydrator and a vacuum sealer! How big are the bags?

I just let mine dry on screens in my basement, but I only had about 10 gallons of hops to dry. Search on hops drying and you'll find the homemade oasts that people have used, like this one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/drying-hops-13396/

I put mine into freezer bags and squeeze out all the air I can, then toss them in the freezer. But then, I don't have that great a quantity....

3 kitchen sized garbage bags, checking temp in dryer to see if its too hot for that technique.I don't have enough room to spread them out.

Are you sure they're not already dried? If they were getting ready to store them, I would think they would have already been out of the oasts and not really "fresh off the vine".

If they are already dry, you just vacuum seal them and freeze them. If they aren't dry, then you need to dry them. I wouldn't use a dryer- that seems like that would beat them up as well as heat them.

Lowest temp setting is about 110 when thermometer was wrapped in a wool sweater.Dryer also has "air fluff" setting.Now the question is ,do I run this by SWMBO before or do I just deal with the wrath of SWMBO after if the dryer stinks like hops for all eternity,which I think would be a good thing.

ok outside I saw vines hanging in a tall garage bay for processing,behind there was a pile of what i thought was leaves and stems. Inside they were pressing into blocks. upstairs was a big room where they were feeding the loose hops onto a conveyer belt that feed the compactor I assume. Like I said earlier they seem to be pretty dry.I think they were being dried in that upper room before b eing pressed. I'm now wondering the best way for myself to process and store. I was thinking about shoving them all in a corny keg and keeping it in my kegerator at 40 degrees. i'm now sure if I got enough freezer room for all of it.

You can tell if they are dry by breaking one open. Also, if they are dry they are extremely light. To put it in perspective, I had a 5 gallon bucket completely filled with fresh wet cascade hops, and after drying got just a tiny bit over 1 pound.

To dry them, I set up a couple large screens on stands and chairs, spread the hops over them, and then set up a fan angled to blow on/under the screen for a couple days. I did this inside the house in a room at about 65 or 70 degrees. The hops dried nicely and the house smelled GREAT.

Here's a picture of wet hops on a screen.

^ agreed. They will also feel, super light and papery. If they crunch when you break one open, chances are they are dry enough to store. Your corny idea might work as long as you purge it pretty well with gas. I would ask around your homebrew club if any one has a vacuum sealer.

Be careful with hops. The yellow dust (lupulin) is very beneficial to flavoring and aromaticing your brew. They more you handle and shake around your hops, the more lupulin you lose.

hopmomma said:
Be careful with hops. The yellow dust (lupulin) is very beneficial to flavoring and aromaticing your brew. They more you handle and shake around your hops, the more lupulin you lose.

Also, be careful on how you store them. Refridgeration can cause moisture and can lead to lack of essence/molding/spoiling. Freezing prevents a lot of issues but if hops are not completely dry, you can lose flavor or freezerburn your hops.

Send them all to me and I'll dry them and vacuum seal them in to 1lb packages for you, for a couple pounds of Cascade Hops of course. ;)

That was very cool of the guy to give you three kitchen bags full. Aren't those bags like 10 gallons each? And whole leaf Cascade too...my favi!!:ban::ban::ban:

That was very cool of the guy to give you three kitchen bags full. Aren't those bags like 10 gallons each? And whole leaf Cascade too...my favi!!:ban::ban::ban:
I had a giant garbage bag of cascade hop vines. When picked (wet), it filled a 5 gallon bucket. When dried, it again filled the 5 gallon bucket. When weighed to then vacuum seal, it weighed just over 1 pound.

All I can say is that I'm glad I don't grow hops manually for a living. You have to grow them, maybe water them, cut them, pick the hops, dry them, buy the sealer bags/rolls/mylar, vacuum seal them and then sell them. Just taking a look at rebel brewer's web site, I can buy cascade whole hops for 1.29/ounce, or $20.64/pound. I have a new found respect (just having processed hops I got for free) for the amount of work involved. Don't get me wrong, it was great to get a pound of cascade, 5.5 oz chinook, 3 oz Williamette, and xx ounces of Nugget (haven't weighed/sealed them yet)!

Latest posts

Back