Just Got a Bunch of Hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NobleNewt

Noble Newt
Reaction score
So I cashed in on the Adventures in Homebrewing Wunderhops "grab bag." I ordered two of said Wunderhops which just came in. In other words, I've got two lbs of two-ounce hop packets. Naturally, I'll do some research of my own to figure out these hops, but I was wanting to see what your experience was with them and what you might do with them.

Naturally, I'm familiar with some of the more standard hops (Cascade, Crystal, Fuggle, Saaz, Warrior as examples), it's some of the more proprietary hops that I'm not entirely sure what to do with.

My list is as follows in no particular order. I have two ounces of each hop unless denoted otherwise. I starred the ones I'm most unfamiliar with.
  • Mt. Hood
  • Hallertauer Magnum
  • Fuggle
  • Saaz
  • Nugget (4 oz.)
  • Ahtanum (4 oz.)*
  • Crystal
  • Warrior (4 oz.)
  • Wakatu*
  • Tettnanger
  • Comet*
  • Eukanot*
  • Cascade
I'm leaning towards doing something like what James Spencer does with his hop sampler series just to try some different hops. I think he does 1-gallon extract batches and leaves them in a hop stand for about 15 minutes. Anyway, I'm all ears, so fire away with any suggestions.

Cheers!

I'm a pretty big fan of Basic Brewing Radio, and I think that's a solid plan, if you don't mind the extra labor. Otherwise I'd say maybe do some nice simple pale ales, at least with the hops your not as familiar with.

all of the asterisk hops are great for apa/ipa and similar hop forward brews. they're all a bit different, but have the 'ipa' flavors.

I really like ahtanum, it's one of the truly multipurpose hops. it would fit just as well in an ipa as it would in a kolsch. it's got sort of a middle ground kind of profile.

Back