got a # of Anthanum and chinnok hops... now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwin

Reaction score
Short story:
have any great anthnum based brews?

Long story:
So i grabbed a pound of anthanum(2012 harvest) and a # of chinnok(2013 i think) from nikobrew on black friday 2014. And they've just been hanging out in the freezer. I feel I need to use these pronto. I have no means of vacuum sealing.
I have the ability to do 2x 10-11 gallon batches in one day and ferment all of that as well, so I have the space. A chinnok smash could be in order, but I've scoured the iterwebs with the google machine and found nothing great about a (near) single hop anthanum brew. Ive found recipes posted on brewtoad and the like, but I dont trust those since that could just be someone posting an "idea" that's never been put into fruition and tasted.

About my tastes:
I like big beer, big hop flavor in my IPA/DIPA/IIPA/CDAs

Rig size:
15g hlt, 30 gal mlt, 15 gal bk

Here are my goals:
-Use most of these hops in one day into 20-22 gallons with some left behind if needed for dryhopping and/or short term storage for later use on an upcoming brew day.
-Maybe use one predominant base malt so i can just buy a full bag of crushed grain @ LHBS (Rebel Brewer, ftw!) and save $
-not end up with 10g of beer that tastes like lawnmower juice

So a double (near)smash day, but maybe mix the hops 80/15 with another for bittering is my concept.
Any ideas, recommendations, recipes?
Is anthanum to piney/earthy to be such a predominant hop in a brew?

Edit:my intent in getting # of anthanum was to do a very piney iipa, but didn't do research first. And found no such basis of such a recipe upon researching. ..and it was $10 for a pound...

Thanks, but even if I did 20g of stone, that would leave me with over half the anthanum. I'm curious about anthanum heavy brews.

There's so little info on an anthanum pale ale that when I just Googled "anthanum pale ale" this thread was the last posting on the first page...
:facepalm:

I would do the stone pale ale but bitter with the anthanum also. at a 90 min boil the bittering addition is almost indistinguishable. and you could dry hop with whatever is left over.

Do you mean Ahtanum and Chinook?

Ahtanum will give you earthy, woodsy, spice and orange. Not so much pine.

Chinook will give you piney spice with some herbal/earth and mild grapefruit.

For a piney focus, employ a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio Chinook to Ahtanum. FWIW, I don't like either of these hops in SMaSH beers, but they are good when used in tandem with other hops.

Do a simple grist of 88% 2-row, 5% corn sugar, 3.5% CaraFoam, 3.5% C40. Mash at 149 F. Ferment with WLP090.

I have a pound of each. I was thinking of doing two brews, at 70/30 or so, but opposite hop schedules. Mostly late additions and reserve some for a big dry hop. Along the lines of the same grain bill as you suggested but maybe add a little Vienna. Rebel has sacks of 2 row at $55 I think, so I can pick it up milled 5 miles away and go 22#s -> 11 gallons
Thanks for the suggestions!

Any opposition to these two hops pairing?

Reading up on them, they sound like they would pair nicely! Let us know how it goes.

Will do. Got at least 10 days to free up fermenters/finish kegerator unless I borrow some buckets or something. Scored a couple ball lock kegs today for $60, so I've got more room!
My yooper pale had been going for 2 weeks, and won't stop, and I still gotta oak my porter. Just soaked the chips today...

Back