Just finished new apartment Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMChueston0311

Marine Grunt
Reaction score
Hello all

Just completed the majority of my new EHERMS apartment brewery! Got sick and tired of lugging up burning hot kettles without splashing, 3 flights of stairs, multiple times on brew day.

Bit the bullet and got my new build done.

All I have to finalize now is the cooling chamber for my water/glycol mix. I have a mini-fridge, just a little thought and work ahead to figure this out.

-Steve
Devil Dog Brewing

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 413
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 382
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 380
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 394
I don’t have a hood yet. I have two box fans directly behind and another fan across the other side, with window open, and door across the room cracked open. Ceiling didn’t even get damp. We will see how it goes after first brew, but I don’t think it will be a problem.

If it does become a problem, I will have to figure a portable solution out. Small range hood with inline duct fan, and tubing out the window, on wheels and frame.

Here's how I exhausted steam from my garage; your setup is different, but maybe something in the pic below will stimulate an idea if you need one or two.

I created a makeshift sort of tunnel with a "lid" over where the kettle steam rose. The fan would work well in pulling almost all the steam outside. I had to crack the service door to the garage to provide makeup air.

Without the hood/tunnel/lid thing, the fan will pull air in from all around the window; the arrangement creates a kind of wind tunnel effect where it draws from behind the kettle so the air moves past it and draws the steam out.

kettleexhaustfan.jpg

I had planned on getting one, but it's not super necessary since I brew a few feet from my garage door and usually just put up a fan. Haven't had any issues in the two years i've been brewing there. But like I said... I do like the idea.

Back