My new EHERMS Apartment brew, and a couple questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMChueston0311

Marine Grunt
Reaction score
Hello all

Ive completed the majority of my apartment brewery build! I will attach pics. G2 20 gallon kettles, 2 x electric, riptide pumps, auto-sparge, 50 ft herms coil, custom made wood bench following Kals design, spike CF15 fermenter.

I do need a little guidance as the best way to setup my temp control for FTS and the Coil. I will attach pictures of my mini-fridge. I cannot fit a 5 gallon bucket because of the shelving on the door of the fridge. I want to have the largest vessel i can possibly fit with water/glycol for a boost in efficiency. My fridge will freeze beer cans in an hour or so. I dont think chilling, crashing one fermenter of 12-15 gallon batch sizes will be a problem. We are in the HIGH mountains of colorado, and ambient temps will be in the 60s in my apartment, so im believing heating the fermenter will be more of a "need-to" this winter, and I can plan and figure out something larger and more permanent over the winter.

Anyways, anyone have any ideas, suggestions or tips, on how to get a bucket to fit in this fridge, or any other vessel you would recommend?

Thank you, and look forward to dedicating a corny to samples to this forum.

-Steve

Attachments

• image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 304
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 333
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 333
  • image2 - Copy.jpeg
    image2 - Copy.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 295
  • image1 - Copy.jpeg
    image1 - Copy.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 301
Does anyone have any pictures of their fridge with a similar setup? Id like to see how you did your penetrations. I figured a way to keep my bucket in there, i just have to lean it backwards about an inch to clear the front door shelf. So I am good to go with that aspect of my confusion!

Can’t help you with the fridge issue but I have to say that is a very cool setup in that space! Good job!

You can remove the plastic molding on the door that makes the shelves. You might have to cut back a little bit of insulation but then you can fasten a Ridgid flat sheet of plastic to the inside of the door and you should be able to fit your bucket in there no problem. That would also make it much easier to do the supply and return tubing penetrations right through the door so you don't risk hitting a refrigerant line in the process

You can remove the plastic molding on the door that makes the shelves. You might have to cut back a little bit of insulation but then you can fasten a Ridgid flat sheet of plastic to the inside of the door and you should be able to fit your bucket in there no problem. That would also make it much easier to do the supply and return tubing penetrations right through the door so you don't risk hitting a refrigerant line in the process

I cant seem to find any screw holes or anything? Does it just pop in and out? Ive traced all the lines from the back, It wouldnt make sense for any to be in the left side of the fridge. Granted I could be wrong, but the coolant line for the freezer is on the right side, and everything that leaves the compressor goes up the center of the back and right side of unit.

Any suggestions on removal of the plastic piece in the front?

Steve

Most of the ones I’ve seen you just cut all the shelves flush with the door. And I’m pretty sure you have lines on both sides, my dorm fridge does. When it’s running put your hands on the sides and if it’s warm you have lines there.

That's not the same brand as my fridge, but I'm willing to bet it is basically the same model. Mine didn't have any screws holding the plastic onto the door, so I had to use a razor to cut it around the perimeter and peel off the plastic. I then sanded all the foam flat so that I could glue a piece of plastic over it.

I don't have any pics of it finished, but could take some for you tomorrow.

Last edited:
I got it done. I cut everything out minus the edge with the groove for the molding. Drilled my holes. They looked a bit sloppy but when I pushed vinyl insulated tubing thru you can’t even see the holes. No leaks or hisses etc, it’s cold as **** inside, gonna assume I missed lines.

Attachments

• 702968DD-EFE1-4B6D-BBE4-1955917E86DA.jpeg
    702968DD-EFE1-4B6D-BBE4-1955917E86DA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 129
  • DF2E21BE-0457-435E-8AEE-E2750106095F.jpeg
    DF2E21BE-0457-435E-8AEE-E2750106095F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
Looks good. I'd be surprised if it has enough cooling power to cold crash a cf15 however. I have my cf15 in a stand up freezer and it takes a good 2 days to get down to 37f. Should be able to hold Ferm temps well though. Cheers

Looks good. I'd be surprised if it has enough cooling power to cold crash a cf15 however. I have my cf15 in a stand up freezer and it takes a good 2 days to get down to 37f. Should be able to hold Ferm temps well though. Cheers

Thanks!

I just ordered a window unit, controller and aquarium pump. Gonna build a DIY window unit glycol chiller, so I hope to not have this issue anymore. Looking forward to being able to utilize my Unitank with all of its accessories instead of half ass crashing, and half ass dumping then carbing in keg again. Will post updates.

Thanks!

I just ordered a window unit, controller and aquarium pump. Gonna build a DIY window unit glycol chiller, so I hope to not have this issue anymore. Looking forward to being able to utilize my Unitank with all of its accessories instead of half ass crashing, and half ass dumping then carbing in keg again. Will post updates.
Carbing in the fermentor is one of my favorite parts of mine. Cheers

Latest posts

Back