just bought a welder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strat_thru_marshall

Reaction score
and there's a stainless steel automated brewstand in my future!!!!

:rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin:

now......to learn how to weld.

do a great job, so i can use your example to convince my wife to let me do the same :D

She was all about it, I just have to weld her a metal bookshelf! In fact, she was mildly disappointed in me when I was talking about buying a pre-built brewstand, and called me out about not DIYing it completely. Needless to say, I love my wife.

works awesome. it was referred to me by members of my brew club who had used it for years. 54k each on the burners

causing sparks to fly, and maybe catch things on fire cause they're over 1000 degrees, because i have an incredibly hot torch in my hand.... wow.. have to get my head out of paradise till i actually make it happen

No, one would cost ya half of what you owned.

Ask "Ohio-Ed" if his wife will buy him a Hypertherm plasma cutter.
He pushed her limits with the used Miller 250 Sync purchase, I may of had a part in it,
I bet she hates me.

strat_thru_marshall,

Congratulations on the new welder.
My best advice for you is practice, practice, practice.
You may also look into taking a welding class at your local community college or trade center. You will learn much quicker having live instruction vs. learning on your own. Plus you will also learn the why's and how's of welding.
Not trying to discourage you, only encourage.
There's nothing wrong with trying to learn on your own. It will just take longer.

Well good luck, and try not to get too frustrated, cause you will at times.
As you probably know there are welders on this forum that will gladly offer advice and tips.

By the way, I am posting pics of my new welder for all to drool over if you can appreciate the type of machine that it is.

0209111515-00.jpg

0209111516-01.jpg

0209111516-00.jpg

By the way, I am posting pics of my new welder for all to drool over if you can appreciate the type of machine that it is.

Looks like you had a tough choice...buy a new car or buy a new welder.

IMO, you made the right descision :rockin:
That is certainly a welder worth drooling over! I hope you get to put it to good use.

Looks like you had a tough choice...buy a new car or buy a new welder.

IMO, you made the right descision :rockin:
That is certainly a welder worth drooling over! I hope you get to put it to good use.

I did make the right decision except for the power requirements, which I overlooked when deciding.
Turns out it's suggested that it be on a 150 amp breaker at 240 amps of single phase input. 4ga supply wire also.
This thing is a beast!
Looks like my fab area is looking at an electrical upgrade.
I work in hanger which was not wired for high voltage or even three phase power, so that's pretty much what I'm stuck with.

The welder was bought by work.
$14000 is too rich for me.

Congrats....I just received mine the other day! I need to spend some quality time with it...still gotta get an auto darkening helmet and argon tank. I tested it using the stick function and had my O/A goggles on....still WAY too bright, but at least I know the unit works.

OP- So what kind of welder did you get?

ScubaSteve said:
OP- So what kind of welder did you get?

I got a Hobart Handler 140 from northerntool.com, seemed like a good balance between portability and easy of use with power to handle the jobs I'll need it for (brew stand and home projects). I also ordered an auto dimming helmet, they had one for $49 that I couldnt pass up.

As far as an Argon tank, I'm going to need one as well. Anyone got a good recommendation on where to get one that will work for building a stainless brew stand, but not be overkill in terms of size or price? All the ones I'm seeing online are $200 and up....

I got a Hobart Handler 140 from northerntool.com, seemed like a good balance between portability and easy of use with power to handle the jobs I'll need it for (brew stand and home projects). I also ordered an auto dimming helmet, they had one for $49 that I couldnt pass up.

As far as an Argon tank, I'm going to need one as well. Anyone got a good recommendation on where to get one that will work for building a stainless brew stand, but not be overkill in terms of size or price? All the ones I'm seeing online are $200 and up....

Owner owned, larger the better with cheaper refills per cu/ft vs lease bottles.
keep the ownership papers should you decide to sell it as you will recover your initial cost. I don't count as all my five bottles are 250 to 280 cu/ft, smallest one a 150 cu/ft nitrogen bottle that I paid $30 for. All owner owned lease would of cost 3 times more over the years.

Make sure if you buy a used one that it still has a few years left on it till it needs to be inspected again.
I believe they are good for ten years.
If you buy one ten years past it's last inspection date it will need to be tested before they will fill it for you.

Back