Just bought a keg system...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianQuaffer

Reaction score
...and I could use some advice from the experts.

This is what I got:
http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/product_p/kitcobra.htm

What's the ideal way to store a keg full of beer? Right now a fridge isn't an option, but my cellar is pretty cool, about 15 degrees C, so I could store it there. Any other ideas?

Also, what about the beer that remains in the line after serving? Will it spoil or otherwise not be good to drink if it stays in the line for prolonged periods?

Any other advice for anything keg related would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Nick

15 degrees C = 59 F and that's gonna be a bit warm for serving temp. As far as the beer in the lines, it's fine if it stays as cold as the keg. I'd personally wait it out and get a fridge or other cooling solution.

OK, cool, I can get a mini fridge for pretty cheap. 100 bucks or less. Could I just get one that would fit the keg and stick it in there? What about the cO2 canister? Can that go in the fridge as well?

CO2 can go in the fridge just fine and is definitely a lot easier than running gas lines out of the fridge. I'd look into one that lets you fit at least 2 cornies and the CO2 can(you're going to want to expand, that's for sure)

Cheers, man!

Why did you buy a kegging system before you had a frig/freezer to install it in?

There is a 4.4 cubic feet fridge at 150$ at Costco. Works great with 2 kegs when you modify the door.

Cool, I'll look into that. I guess you have to drill holes for the tank lines going in? I imagine a 4.4 cubic foot fridge couldn't fit 2 kegs AND the tanks altogether?

i did the same thing. I kept my first keg on ice for an entire week. Spent a lot on ice that week. Then i bought a sanyo 4912 and it works great

I recently purchased my second fridge off of craigslist. I can't really find better prices for quality used equipment anywhere. Also freezers can work too with a temperature controller.

I stored my CO2 tank in my fridge with 3 kegs (can easily fit 4) for about a year. And it works absolutely fine. I recently moved my CO2 outside and ran a gas line through the side and sealed with insulation foam (also very easy to do - takes 2 min with a drill). I prefer the tank outside because it is more accessible and easier to adjust or change out.

As far as beer in the lines. I just take the lines off, remove any connections and soak in hot water and sanitizer between beer exchanges. It probably is not necessary to do this, but it is quick and easy.

I recently purchased my second fridge off of craigslist. I can't really find better prices for quality used equipment anywhere. Also freezers can work too with a temperature controller.

I stored my CO2 tank in my fridge with 3 kegs (can easily fit 4) for about a year. And it works absolutely fine. I recently moved my CO2 outside and ran a gas line through the side and sealed with insulation foam (also very easy to do - takes 2 min with a drill). I prefer the tank outside because it is more accessible and easier to adjust or change out.

As far as beer in the lines. I just take the lines off, remove any connections and soak in hot water and sanitizer between beer exchanges. It probably is not necessary to do this, but it is quick and easy.

So one CO2 tank can supply multiple kegs simultaneously??? How does that work?

You buy a regulator that has one line in for your CO2 and multiple lines out to attach the amount of kegs you plan on using....

OK, cool, so I just need to buy a special regulator then? How many kegs would a 5lb tank supply? Two?

OK, cool, so I just need to buy a special regulator then? How many kegs would a 5lb tank supply? Two?

Zorin may well have meant regulator, but that's the pricey way to serve multiple kegs. Most use a manifold, which has one input from the regulator at the CO2 bottle, and multiple outputs to connect to kegs.

The better manifolds have shutoff valves for each output, and the even better manifolds have shutoff valves with check valves to keep beer from back-flowing up the gas lines and into the manifold.

This is an example of an "even better" manifold, in this case the 6-way that connects to the six kegs in my keezer, just before I installed it.
ab_jun_24_2011_03_sm.jpg

You can serve way more than six kegs off a single CO2 bottle with the right manifold...

Cheers!

Back