Just bought 55lbs of Golden Promise, suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BridgewaterBrewer

Reaction score
I've used it in pale ales or malty recipes before but I'm thinking a SMASH recipe would be good. I have some Simcoe...
I'm mainly looking for recipe ideas but if you're in central NJ, I'm happy to trade too.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd go for something where you can still taste the malt. Maybe a smash strong bitter with an OG of 1.048-1052 and a long boil (90-120m) or an old ale smash finished with Brett and an OG around 1.075-1.080.

How about a Scottish Strong ale. You could keep it SMaSH or light or darken it up. I like Edinburgh Ale yeast WLP028 I used Northern Brewer hops - 1oz. at 60 minutes in my Wee Heavy. It had 3 lb flaked barley, 1 lb c-40, 1 lb c-75 and .38 lb carapils. Along with the 15.5 lbs of Golden Promise.

Tim taylor landlord is a delicious beer, and im pretty sure its 100% golden promise, and their yeast is wyeast1469.

It's has a very sharp flavor. Probably stick with pales or bitters, maybe Scotch-Irish styles

Summer Lightning is another 100% pale malt beer you could consider as a template. Landlord, as mentioned above is a delicious classic. Lots of British beers are all pale malt.

Oh, I LOVE Golden Promise. It's like a warmer maris otter.

After the SMaSH, why not make a clone of my favorite beer, Surly Furious? It's a huge IPA that uses golden promise as the base malt.

9 lbs 8.0 oz Golden Promise 70.0 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt 18.4 %
1 lbs Caramunich Malt 7.4 %
8.0 oz Crystal Malt - 60L 3.7 %
1.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) (for color) 0.5 %
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 minutes
1.00 oz Summit [18.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min
0.50 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.0 pkg British Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1335) -
2.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

That's what I would do if I had a new sack of GP!

For stock / old ale, something like:

OG 1.067, FG 1.009, 60 IBU, 6SRM.

12lb Golden Promise

60m - 1oz Challenger
20m - 3oz Fuggles

Pitch S04 for primary fermentation, then Brett Claussenii for either secondary or bottling. Aiming at an attenuation of 85-90% between those two.

It's has a very sharp flavor. Probably stick with pales or bitters, maybe Scotch-Irish styles

What do you mean by sharp? I've read that it is slightly better than Marris Otter and that it may be less sweet. I'm curious because I was about to buy a sack.

For GP, I'd make a SMaSH first and see how it tastes. Next, I'd do that Surly clone. I never did a SMaSH until recently because when I first started brewing someone said that there is no reason to waste time on brewing something so boring. Well, I just kegged my MO / Mosaic SMaSH IPA and frankly, it is pretty darn delicious. I'd like to do a couple more SMaSHs with just 2-row and another with GP.

What do you mean by sharp? I've read that it is slightly better than Marris Otter and that it may be less sweet. I'm curious because I was about to buy a sack..

I find it more sweet & less toasted than MO, definitely not sharp

i love golden promise.... so much.
I did a SMaSH with it once and motueka and S-05... Tasted kind of like honey and lemon lime. twas amazing. That being said, i just did another SMaSH with ADHA 529 and golden promise with S-04 for a strong bitter. It's only 2.5 weeks old so i'm not sure how it will end up, but early samples are awesome.

Simcoe would be amazeballs

Make a 10g batch using the whole sack, around 40ibu's of ekg/fuggle a 3-4 hour boil and your scottish / british yeast of choice

I just did a smash with Fuggles at 60 and FO, about 20 IBU, Heady Topper yeast. It's awesome. Also did a brown porter with the GP and it is also awesome. Love this malt!

Back