just bottled by first beer batch ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickyspalding

Reaction score
I am the guy who did a mr beer american hop devil, (2 gallons) and when i was suppose to add three quarts, i added 3 gallons..., so 2 days later to the fermentator I added 3 pounds of dry dme, and a packet of cascade hops, obviously after boiling..., now I tasted it as I bottled, it tastes like a belgian beer. The only other things I screwed around with is I put a piece of lemon and grapefruit peel in the wort and been in the fermenter this whole time, probably a total of 3 square inches. So yeah, this is most likely a faux pas, but I'm here to have fun. Would this be the reason for the outcome? I am not disappointed, just confused. I remember being at the Harpoon Brewery and trying their Triticus, so I just added , what the heck. There may be a simple answer to this but I know there are a gazillion styles of belgian beers. Thanks for any input :mug:

No idea why it tastes like a belgian but congratulations on bottling your first brew! I dropped the rubber gasket that was supposed to hold the airlock in my first bucket of wort and had to fish around in there for a good minute to find it. The beer still turned out alright, a slight after-taste of arm hair, but it was my first batch and I loved it! :mug:

I've had Harpoon's IPA so far,like that one. Have to try & find the Triticus. But,Belgian-like is fine! Congrats on the happy accident.:mug:

Congrats on the first bottling! I will probably do my first bottling tomorrow (maybe). Not sure about he flavor issue you're having.

Back