Just an idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic76

Reaction score
I live in a collage town and was thinking how to get glass bottles cheap, we recycle and when I go down to the drop off there is a big container for putting beer bottles, so my thought is to go down there next time I take our recycling and pick me up some (like 60 or so ) bring them home and soaking them in some bleach for a couple of days then running them the dishwasher,
good idea or bad one ?

Lots of people have bars hold bottles for them or get them from recycling centers. Ask before taking them. Then give them a good scrubbing and you'll be fine.

I'd soak them in oxy clean for a day. Then scrub them out with a bottle brush. Then set them in a bleach or star san solution.

It might be worth your while to pick up a bottle rinser here is a link to what one would look like:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/jet-bottle-washer.html

Also, definately make sure they are not twist off, Im a huge Sam Adams fan so I just started drinking it like a mad man and kept all of the bottles, now I have more than enough lol. GOOD LUCK!

Back