Just a question when I am searching for recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
When I look at some recipes they do not give the amount of grain but simply a percentage. How, if I am doing a 5 gallon batch, do I convert that over to an amount? I have found a few I want to try, but don't want to go to high or to low on the grain bill. Any input would be most appreciated. RR

Percentages are an acknowledgement that each of our systems are different. It's the better way to communicate a recipe. The same recipe can work for a brewer putting out 10G on a 3-vessel system and another brewer putting out 1.5G in a saucepan. This is the same as 'baker's percentages'.

Use software. Input your  measured system parameters such as loss-to-grain, boil-off per hour, transfer losses, etc. These are unique to you and your process. The recipe writer had their own set of numbers. Your software should be able to spit out the proper amount of grain and water to arrive at your post-boil or fermenter volume at a certain OG. Practice and measurement over a few batches can really dial this in.

Percentages are an acknowledgement that each of our systems are different. It's the better way to communicate a recipe. The same recipe can work for a brewer putting out 10G on a 3-vessel system and another brewer putting out 1.5G in a saucepan. This is the same as 'baker's percentages'.

Use software. Input your  measured system parameters such as loss-to-grain, boil-off per hour, transfer losses, etc. These are unique to you and your process. The recipe writer had their own set of numbers. Your software should be able to spit out the proper amount of grain and water to arrive at your post-boil or fermenter volume at a certain OG. Practice and measurement over a few batches can really dial this in.
Awesome. Thank you for that. I am going to check it out on Brewfather. Getting ready for my next couple of brews.

Brewfather makes it really easy to calculate based on percentages. Just put your grain bill in the system at 1lb each or somewhat of a guestimate based on the recipe, and then click the percentage button, and adjust to whatever the recipe calls for. adjust up and down the volume to get the target abv/og/fg whatever you need.

Latest posts

Back