Juice for a Pyment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theron_Jon

Reaction score
This will be my second mead, my JAOM is currently aging. I have decided to make a Pyment, and I was wondering if it would make a big difference if I used a juice with no sugar added or no HFCS would it still turn out alright?

Lots of commercial grape juices add sulfites, so watch out for that as it can stall out your brew. If you go that route, I suggest only backsweetening with the commercial juice. Apparently store grapes and commercial juice A. don't ferment to taste good, and B don't give much flavor.

I've seen Trader Joe's selling Champagne grapes, and I'm really tempted to buy a bunch.

Joe's Quick Grape Mead is an easy pyment recipe that uses commercial grape juice. You can probably get some good pointers from it.

When using commercial juice, you want to check the ingredients and verify there aren't any preservatives or sulfites in it.

A slight mod to that.....

Sulphites and preservatives like sodium benzoate, but if it has ascorbic acid as a preservative, thats fine. Ascorbic acid is vitamin C and doesn't affect the ferment......

Latest posts

Back