Johnson controller set to heating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smAllGrain

Reaction score
Pulled the controller out of the box. Plugged it in & it turns on once it gets below, instead of above, my set temp. Should the icon have a snowflake?

image.jpg

I recall hearing there's a jumper you have to change inside: here's a video that came up on google. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prbWgMY3c5c[/ame]

Changed the settings and it seems like all it wants to do is heat? Not getting it to show the snowflake only the flame

Try Cooling - Cut Out mode, it's the most rational:
A419_cooling_modes.jpg

Jump 1 should be "parked" on the left pin
Jump 2 should straddle both pins
a419_jumpers.jpg

Cheers!

Just for curiosity, can somebody help me understand the "cut in" and "cut out" functions for both heating and cooling? It looks like it's set to cut out at certain temperatures, but you can also adjust the jumpers to "cut in" at certain temperatures. What does that mean and why would you choose that over the default setting?

In The Land Of Johnsons (yeah, I went there ;)) "cut-in" versus "cut-out" comes down to which side of your chosen Set Point you want the cooler or heater to run.

For all four examples, assume Set Point is 40°F and Differential is 5°F

In Cooling/Cut-Out, the compressor will come on at Set Point + Differential (45°F) and shut off when the temperature drops to Set-Point (40°F).

In Cooling/Cut-In, the compressor will come on at Set Point (40°F) and shut off when the temperature drops to Set-Point - Differential (35°F).

A419_cooling_modes.jpg

In Heating/Cut-Out, the heater will come on at Set Point - Differential (35°F) and shut off when the temperature rises to Set-Point (40°F).

In Heating/Cut-In, the heater will come on at Set Point (40°F) and shut off when the temperature rises to Set-Point + Differential (45°F).

A419_heating_modes.jpg

Cooling/Cut-Out and Heating/Cut-Out make the most sense to me and are the paradigms that most controllers use.
The two Cut-In modes are not only superfluous, they just confuse folks...

Cheers!

Back