Johnson Control settings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevesmirk

Reaction score
First off, please forgive me for posting a question that seems to have been posted many times. I have read most of them, but I am getting confused.
I received a Johnson A419 controller, and wired it up. I will use it to help control a 1935 fridge that was converted into a kegerator to keep a good serving temp, but then will also use it on a smaller dorm room style fridge for fermenting. Can someone confirm my thoughts below?

Serving temp:
SP: 38
dif: 3
ASD: 12
OFS: 0
jumpers are set for cooling cut-in

Ferment
SP: 68 (or colder for lagers)
dif: 3
ASD:12
OFS: 0
jumpers would be set to cooling cut-out

I think I am more confused about the jumper settings--is it needed to switch from cut-in to cut-out when wanting to keep warmer temps?

I beleive there are 2 jumpers and the 1st one controls whether it heats or cools and the 2nd Jumper controls whether to Cut-in or cut-out. The manual shows a picture of the jumper settings and what does what.

First off, ask yourself if you really need a temp controller for serving beer. Most people simply use the fridge.

Second, there is nothing to change just to change the temp. If you like the way it's working at 62 for Ales, then it should work fine for 50 ferment, 34 lager, for Lagers.

The Cut-In is when the fridge turns ON when the SP is reached. It shuts OFF at the differential.

Cut-Out is when the fridge turns OFF when the SP is reached, and ON when the differential is hit.

Assume the controller is set for Cooling mode:

If you have the setpoint at 62, and the differential at 3, and it's set for Cut-In, then the fridge will turn on at 62 and turn off at 59.

At those same settings, but with Cut-Out, the fridge will turn off at 62 and kick in at 65.

So, you could perform the exact same operation by swapping the SP and Diff depending on whether the controller was set for cut-in, or cut-out.

Back