John Wood Marathon Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedward

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
One of the kegs my LHBS sold me was a really old John Wood keg, with a blue plastic lid - handle screwed in with two screws. It says
Los Angeles Syrup Co. and "B00TH Marathon" on its sides.

I think I can get the Firestone tall plugs to fit (from Williams) like I used for my other two Firestones - if they ever leak. However, the screwed in lid handle/lock has caused two hairline cracks inside the lid that are leaking.

I've spent weeks googling and searching sites for anything like this. I have not tried to fit another keg's lid - they are all full right now.

Any suggestions or links anyone might be able to give - or am I hosed on this? I will probably use it as a secondary now if I can somehow replace the lid or seal it.

Would silicone sealant be a bad thing to use? The keg would be great for a 2.5-3 gallon batch primary as well, so in desperation I could bore out the cracked portion and stop it up I guess.

I'm bummed and seeking wisdom.... :(

ANY help is truly appreciated!

I've never heard of this style of keg. Not sure it there is much that can be done, but I'd still like to see a few pictures just for the heck of it. I'm sure the keg can be re-purposed somehow.

Here's the Keg lid shot:
IMG_4322.JPG

Here's the Keg name: "B00TH" Marathon
IMG_4327.JPG

MFG John Wood St. Paul, MN
IMG_4325.JPG

Leak from cracked lid:
IMG_4329.JPG

It's hard to tell, but it really looks like the standard lid would fit here.

It's hard to tell, but it really looks like the standard lid would fit here.

Yeah LHBS gave me a replacement metal one, but not sure it seals too well.

Probably wouldn't take a normal oval lid. Looks like a racetrack style to me. Start taking measurements and hit this place: Lids for Ball Lock Kegs

Definitely racetrack - but slightly different than the Firestone racetracks I have. The linked page looks like the place to try. I'm off to measure.

Thanks for the link!

Back