Job Posting: Research Scientist Beverage; San Diego, CA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agrazela

Reaction score
Since there's no specific "Job Listings" subforum, I'm posting here. I figure this is a good place to look for beverage scientists!

There is a job opening at the company I work for, we are looking for a research scientist in (primarily) the area of beverages. As an idea of scope, the person who now holds this position (after 9 yrs with the company she is leaving in June or July to be a full-time mom; she is planning to train the new hire) designed such items as the bottled Starbucks coffee drinks, the Kellog's Special K protein shakes, Gatorade protein recover drinks, etc. If interested, PM me and I'll forward contact info.

(Oh and BTW, I have this exact same position, except that I generally work on all food applications except for beverages)
(Also BTW, the current person in this role has one lab tech working for her directly, plus we have two techs who operate and maintain the machinery: UHT, homogenizers, mixers, etc.; I don't expect that would change)

Here's the listing, cut-and-pasted directly from our Intranet:

========================

Job Details

Research Scientist Beverage
Job ID #: 661 Location: CA - Aero Drive
Functional Area: Research Facility:
Position Type: Full-Time Regular Department: 810401 - SDA Apps & Bioploymer R&D
Education Required: Masters Degree Salary Grade: unspecified
Experience Required: 5 - 7 Years Relocation Provided: Limited

Position Description

CP Kelco, a world leader in the production of hydrocolloids, has an immediate opening for a Beverage Applications / Product Development Scientist at our Global Beverage Center of Excellence in San Diego. CP Kelco products are used to stabilize and enhance the quality of a multitude of food products around the world. Key ingredient functionality include suspension, protein protection, emulsification, texture modification, and imparting freeze/thaw and heat stability. Our product line includes GENU® pectin, KELCOGEL® gellan gum, KELTROL® xanthan gum, GENU® carrageenan, CEKOL® cellulose gum, SIMPLESSE® microparticulated whey protein concentrate, and various hydrocolloid stabilizer blends.
This is a hands-on, lab-based position focused on the use of CP Kelco hydrocolloids in essentially all types of beverages, i.e. with and without protein, neutral and acid pH, and shelf-stable and refrigerated products. Projects may be in response to customer-specific requests, or may support the development of new CP Kelco products and applications. Projects involve evaluating, optimizing, and understanding the science and technology behind CP Kelco hydrocolloid solutions within the context of complete formulas and processes to provide the desired functionality in finished beverage applications. A strong desire to optimize formulas for sensory qualities, and a strong inclination to look at food systems on a molecular level are critical.
Specifically, this person will design and execute well-planned experiments; work closely with the Customer Support and Applications Manager and colleagues to ensure a smooth, efficient work flow; interact frequently with the technical service and sales teams to provide technical input to meet customer needs; and develop and apply new knowledge to create new products and applications.

Position Requirements

This position requires an MS in Food Science with a solid knowledge of protein chemistry. Also required are very strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills; being a self starter with the ability to work independently and with the team, and the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously. Five to ten years experience in the Beverage or Protein industry is desired, although new graduates with appropriate research experience will be considered. Candidates must be fully fluent in English, and have outstanding oral and written skills; fluency in Portuguese or Spanish a plus.

We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.

Back