Jamming stuff in the carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poorboy2011

Reaction score
Got a question for all the experts here.

Second batch = Hoegaarden Clone from LBS. 5 gallon full boil and dumped it in a 5 gal glass carboy with a blowoff tube...just had to see what was going on in there.

When I dumped it in the carboy a ton of hops, corriander and orange peel were clogging up my funnel...so I sterilied my hand and started jamming all that earthy goodness into the carboy.

Question...There's a lot of stuff in there but it's doing a great job fermenting. I'm going to rack to a secondary to get rid of the trub and let it finish cleaning things up. When should I do this and how long would you leave it in a secondary?

Am I understanding you right that you put the corriander, orange peel and hops into the carboy after the boil?

Cruckin is correct. Also, if they've been added during the boil, it's a better idea to leave them behind in the boil kettle so they don't go moldy in the fermenter.

These were added to the boil at 8min. When I transfered to the primary it all went in.
I'm going to rack to secondary with little to no "junk". How long would you leave it in primary before racking or should I just leave it with all the junk and let it ride for a couple of weeks before bottling.

This is the one and only time I'm going to recommend getting your beer off that stuff after a week, if not sooner.

most people will tell you 3 week primary, then bottles...

But there is no set amount of time....fermintation is done when fermintation is done....your hydrometer will tell you when it's done...

did your recipe say add that at 8 or 10 minutes?

I agree with posted above me...I'd get it off quick...

Because that stuff is going to overwhelm the flavor of the beer. One week will be plenty for the yeast to ferment the beer and clean it up a little bit (and they will still be able to clean it up a little more in secondary), as well as allowing the flavors to melow a little bit.

I actually think it will be fine...very small amounts of corriander, hops and orange zest that sink to the bottom of the carboy I dought will have much if any impact on overall flavor. I was just curious how long you would leave it in the primary with the flavor adders. I tasted it right before going into the primary and it was fantastic. Very sweet but all the flavors were there for sure. I did the same with an Altbier and when it went to secondary it cleared up really well.

Thanks for not beating me up too bad.
I'll probably wait for fermintation to end...guessing around a week or so and then rack to secondary leaving all the goodies behind.

I don't understand either? It was added with 8 minutes left in the boil. Granted you used your hand to push it through the funnel but it was sanatized. It seems unlikely you'd get mold or an infection. I also don't understand why it would be ok in secondary but not primary? Am I missing something?

I don't understand why some people are saying it will go "moldy" in the fermenter.

It will be fine to leave them in there, treat the beer like you would any other.

I've done several batches of an "American White" beer similar to blue moon with orange peel and coriander in the boil and I always dump the whole lot into my carboy, some of the peel and coriander goes into the carboy and I don't treat the fermentation any different than any other beer, primary 3-4 weeks than bottle the orange peel and coriander will sink into the trub and not be a problem. I've never seen mold form in the month long primary or had any other negative effects from leaving that stuff in.

Same as above. I have no problem leaving 2 weeks with the orange and coriander in the carboy.

You boiled the stuff, which will kill the mold. If the rest of your beer ain't moldy, then your orange peel ain't gonna' be moldy either (at least, that's how I see it). I would have no issues with leaving it on that stuff for more than 3 weeks.

Just a tip. The orange peel and coriander seems to float for a week or 2. But if you cold crash it before bottling/kegging it will all sink to the bottom and won't be a problem.

Thanks for all the positive words. I'm going to clean up the blowoff tube I've been using since the krausen is subsided and put a regular airlock on since I'll keep it in primary for 2-3 weeks. Wife doesn't biotch about much but the pan of brown/beer smelling water in the kitchen is not going over well at this point.

Back