Jalapeño Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
Manager at my LHBS mentioned making some sort of hot pepper beer. As I've been thinking about it it's been growing on me. We have some nice smoking hot jalapeños around here. What kind of style would you match something like that with (pale/blonde?)? I suppose you'd go light on the crystal malts and such. How many jalapeños might it take to make a batch? I'd want it to taste like jalapeños and burn the next day too!

I don't know about amounts, but I would only add peppers to a stout, porter, or dark Belgian...

Yes, most chili pepper beers you'll come across are dark. I came across a recipe for a green chili saison that sounded pretty darn good to me. I'm sure a google search will bring it up pretty quickly. I think they ended up calling the beer "Don't do it, man!" In honor of all the naysayers.

While I think adding peppers to most lighter beers would be gross, I think the flavors in a saison would be nicely complemented by some heat.

At a home brew competition, I tried a jalaepeno light lager which was fantastic. The spice was very low, with a nice pepper flavor, kind of like how raw pepper tastes. I don't know how it was added. My guess is the brewer either dry "peppered" the beer, r maybe added the pepper at but I'm just speculating.

Nothing wrong with a jalapeno porter is you choose to go that route.

I have made a beer with jalapeños and one with habenaro's both were horrible. But turned into an awesome recipe for marinating chicken. I think I had 1-2 habenaro's and 2-3 jalapeños both in a one gallon fermentor. And it was way too hot. Just use that as a reference. Habenaro had some what of a good flavor. But u couldn't even sip it. And jalapeños weren't good, But like I said good for a cook out.

I tried once (as a joke) a jalapeno light lager. I did only 3 liters of it and I "dry-hopped" 5g of jalapeno flakes into secondary for a week (can't remember very well). It was, by far, the worse beer i've ever made. I don't recall that someone finished a whole beer lol

I tried once (as a joke) a jalapeno light lager. I did only 3 liters of it and I "dry-hopped" 5g of jalapeno flakes into secondary for a week (can't remember very well). It was, by far, the worse beer i've ever made. I don't recall that someone finished a whole beer lol

Haha, I should have mentioned, I've also had some gross pepper lagers. The one I referred to earlier took a very close second in the specialty category. It seemed to me like the brewer used fresh raw peppers, and I would suspect the seeds were removed.

When I make my smoked chipotle brown ale, I make my beer and let it ferment for about two weeks, and then rack it into secondary for four days over eight chipotle peppers that have been cut up. Initially the beer is good and smokey, but after aging for about four weeks it balances out very nicely. The eight peppers gave it a nice amount of heat, if you want it really hot maybe do ten of them, but not sure if that would be the same for jalapenos seeing how chipotle peppers are nothing more than smoked jalapenos.

Never made one but the one lesson I have heard over and over from those that have:

Don't use nearly as many peppers as you think you need--it gets really hot really fast

I'm curious as to why darker beers?

Normally I'd think a chili beer would be silly, but I love jalapeños, and just maybe it'd make a good beer...

I'm definitely interested in this one. I've thought about the same thing, though it would have to be a low-volume sort of thing, at least for the first attempt.

Search jalapeño cream ale on here seems to be a pretty good one and my next brew!

Very interested in this. I've had a commercial chilli lager that wasn't terrible, but it certainly wasn't amazing.

Nothing beats the taste of the pickled jalapeños from the top of the stack of nachos, quickly followed by a swish of Coopers sparkling ale. Ahh, the summer memories.

In my experience, heat aside, pickled jalapeños have a unique, potent flavour. The beer would have to have a initial hit of heat, combined with the actual flavour of the chilli, then a refreshing lift of whatever style of beer you fancy. Which sounds difficult to achieve, on the whole.

Local Brewery called No Label Brewing Company makes a Jalapeño Ale. It is a seasonal beer that they brew using 120 pound (if I remember right) of jalapeños.
It's a little spicy but is it is flavorful.

I just made a smoked Jalapeño pale ale using smoked malts and 2 peppers in boil and 2 peppers dry hopped in a 1 gallon batch. Has nice smokey flavor from the malts and a nice residual burn from the peppers. I would make it again.

I recently kegged a jalapeño cream ale. A fella and I at the LHBS came up with a basic cream ale recipe and I read up on forums about pepper additions. The beer came out wonderfully, really better than I ever expected. It's gone fast, everyone who has tried it has really liked it. I even had one person tell me that it was the best beer he had ever tasted :mug: what a compliment

For pepper additions ....

The day before my brew day I went outside to my jalapeño plants in the backyard and took 4 nice size jalapeños off the plant. I took them inside, cut them into 1/4" strips seeds and all and roasted them at 350 for 25 minutes or so. Once done I threw them into a mason jar and poured Smirnoff vodka over them to soak and threw it in my pantry overnight. Fast forward to brew day. I was doing a partial mash, so during the final 60 minute boil I added these soaked peppers, seeds and all, at 40 minutes in a small grain bag. The leftover vodka really had a great pepper smell and made for one hell of a hot shot with friends later. This is when I noticed that the vodka had robbed a lot of my heat and just left me with the pepper flavor I wanted in the beer.

But I wanted it hotter ... A little kung fu kick of heat/burn at the end. Nothing over the top, just a nice balance

So

I primary 3 weeks then it's straight to the keg. So after two weeks went by I did another jalapeño pepper roast. Used 3 this time. I prepared them the same way, same size peppers from the same plant etc.. However, this time I chose to forgo the vodka soak after the roast so I would retain my heat factor. In lieu of the vodka I got a ziplock baggie out, threw the peppers in seeds and all, let them steam in the bag for 10 minutes or so then threw them in the freezer overnight. The next day I just dumped them into my carboy straight. Let them float around for another week.

At the 3 week mark I siphoned straight to my keg, force carbed her, and finally poured a glass. This was it, glory moment, had I created greatness or liquid crap that would burn your balloon knot off later.

And, there it was ... Greatness! (IMO)

I had managed to imbibe a nice noticeable pepper flavor, which I suspect came from the peppers during the boil, but was there heat? Wait for it, wait for it. Yes! After I washed down my first sip a few seconds later I noticed a pleasant bite from the heat in the back of my throat and a slight twinge on my lips. Then my chest felt a little warm, almost like I had opened it up. But in a very pleasant way. In my eyes, it was perfect, everything I wanted from it. A symphony of liquid jalapeño beer was in my glass. Again, it was well received by all who tried it. You'll get the occasional "I hate jalapeños or anything hot" customer, and that's ok, go drink what you brought over in a 6 pack from the 7-11 and leave my tasty brew alone :)

I was considering making this my first recipe contribution to the forum and was planning on doing it in my own sweet time, but if anyone is interested in my PM jalapeño cream ale recipe you may request it from me and I'll post it up sooner or in this thread.

Happy brewing

I took a gallon of an apricot wheat to make a jalapeno beer and I really enjoyed it. The sweetness of the apricot paired well with it. It was however too hot for most people. I added 3 roasted peppers for 1 gallon for 1 week and also had to cut them in half to get them in so the membrane was exposed. I would suggest 1 pepper per gallon.

That settles it! I'll try a 1.8-2.5 gal trial batch.

Now just to figure what style of beer I want to make it in. It seems many people felt it should be a dark beer, but then many others piped in with the lighter styles working great. I'd think the darker beers would mask the jalapeño taste more. Right?

I had a chili lager in college which totally sucked! Somehow they got a whole jalepeno in every bottle, which was pretty cool. I spent 20 years thinking that chili beers suck.

Then I tried Joaquin Murietta by Sequoia Brewing. That is a mighty tasty beer!

That settles it! I'll try a 1.8-2.5 gal trial batch.

Now just to figure what style of beer I want to make it in. It seems many people felt it should be a dark beer, but then many others piped in with the lighter styles working great. I'd think the darker beers would mask the jalapeño taste more. Right?

Cream ale ;)

Id stray from darker beers. To me the cream is a very nice base for this. Great presentation/color in the glass. A sandy yellowish look. I wouldn't try it any other way ...

Although I recently made a mango habanero pale ale, which has worked out beautifully and is very tasty. Unsure how it would be with the cream base ...

Whatever you do, do not put jalapenos in the boil. I did that once and it was probably the worst tasting beer I have ever had / brewed, except for a butterball lager I actually paid for at Chicago International Airport.

One of the best pepper beers I've ever had was a habanero mango double IPA. I wish I could get the guy to give me the recipe.

I say go for the lighter beer. That's what you wanted to do in the first place, right? Honestly, do what sounds good to you. Everyone is going to have their own opinion. Ultimately, you're the one who has to drink it.

I think dark beers are usually used because the chili/chocolate combination is really popular. After working in restaurants for the past 10 years I think it's overdone. Though one of my favorite beers is the Mexican Chocolate stout from Copper Kettle.

Citrus, mango, pineapple, peach are all flavors that blend well with peppers and have lighter flavors. I actually had a delicious jalapeño strawberry blonde last night. I think it would be interesting to experiment. Let us know how it turns out.

I'm planning on making a variant of a cream ale recipe I was given. I'm going to make a 1.75 gal test batch.

I'm planning on omitting the wheat flake, and changing rice syrup solids to honey, as well as subbing 2 row for 6 row.

I figure a lighter beer will showcase the jalapeño better. I'm not trying to meld it in per say.

Recipe Volume: 5
Boil time/quantity: 90 / 7
Recipe OG = 1.085 @65% efficiency
Calculated Original Gravity = 1.088
Recipe IBU = 25
Calculated IBUs = 26.2
Recipe Final Gravity = 1.021
Calculated FG = 1.035
Recipe abv% = 8.2
Calculated abv% = 7.08
Recipe yeast WLP 007 or WLP 028
Yeast used WLP007
Recipe SRM 29

Malts: Amount Type
1 14.5 lb maris otter pale malt
2 1.75 lb british dark crystal malt used crystal 60L
3 .5 lb belgian carapils
4 .38 lb peat smoked malt
5 .25 lb biscuit malt
6 .125 lb chocolate malt

Adjuncts:
1 1 tblsp Irish moss
2 1 capsule servo

4 1 lb jalapeno peppers, cut in half, remove seeds, roast 20 min at 250d

Hops:
Amount Time Type % Alpha Acid
1 7.5 aau = 1.5 oz FWH uk kent golding 5.00%
2 1 oz 10 fuggles 4.00%

Procedure: mash at 158d for 90 min

recirc, mash out
sparge
add FWH to kettle
Check SG & volume of preboil wort
bring to a boil for 80 min
check SG of boiling wort
Add servo
add 10 min hops
boil 10 min

Take OG

flame out

steep peppers for 30 min
cool, aerate, pitch yeast

primary at low end of yeast temp

I just brewed a chocolate chile stout today, but I wouldn't say in general that dark beer is a necessity. Stone's 11-11-11 Vertical Epic was amber in color, and I had a Belgian Strong Ale with chiles from Rock Bottom that was very nice and only slightly darker than Duvel.

I've used chili's in everything from blond to porters but found that the taste of any ripe chili beats the taste of any green chili. All types of red to brown -
dehydrated or roasted and smoked can add some wonderful flavors and heat to your brew. And 4-6 helpings is the best medicine in my house if I feel a cold coming on...

chili (dry hopping) is my favorite way.

I've actually considered making my jalapeños chipotles.

And I also enjoy jalapeños when I'm getting congested! Best medicine for a moment!

I'll be making this later this week, and figure I'll make a starter for the US-05 that I'll be making for my 6.2% 6 gal stout and save a small portion for this 1.8 gal jalapeño cream ale (5.3%).

Search for jalapeño cream ale on this forum and you will find an excellent jalapeño beer. Just follow the original recipe and you will be quite pleased with the results.

I've settled on a variation of a jalapeño cream ale recipe I was given by jph here.

It's for a 1.8 gal batch:

8 oz 2-row
8oz lager malt
4 oz crystal 10
1 lb pilsen LME (FO)
4 oz honey
4 oz wheat DME
.3 oz Liberty @ 60 mins
.2 oz Liberty @ 5 mins
US-05
2 small jalalpenos roasted and steeped in vodka @ 40 mins
1 large jalapeño roasted and frozen dry hopped for 10 days

Should be about 5.3% ABV 3* L, and 15 IBU's.

I swapped honey for rice solids and wheat DME for flaked wheat, and varied the amount of ingredients slightly as I scaled his recipe down and adjusted it a bit.

If you don't mind my input, make the first addition the frozen roasted peppers at 5 min and the second addition your vodka tincture, saving the vodka itself to possibly add to the bottle bucket or keg if more heat is warranted.
The 5 min boil will retain more jalapeño flavor and the addition after boil will be sterilized by the vodka as well as bring able to have control over the heat. Trust me, to much heat is a bad thing in a beer.

I'm curious why the switch to using the tincture as the "dry peppering" addition? It adds less heat?

i certainly want heat, but I reconsidered the real burn. I've had to set aside a portion of a jalapeño as it was just a bit much from time to time (fresh jalapeños). But I do want a nice jalapeño kick, and not the typical pickled variety as I don't generally waste my time with them.

Main reason is sanitation. Anything added to the beer after the boil needs to have extra precautions to prevent microbes inadvertently contaminating all the previous work you've done. The second reason is having more control over the heat. If you reserve the "juice" from your tincture and only add the peppers on your second addition, then when you sample your brew before kegging/bottling you now have an opportunity to add the liquid if its not to the heat you desire.

Cheers

Kc

I just couldn't keep well enough alone and revised this recipe.

Using what I have on hand (DME, honey, and hops) I've now made it into:

4.5 gal yield

1.8 lbs wheat DME
1 lb light DME
1 lb pilsen LME (FO)
1 lb honey (FO)
1/2 lb 2-row
1/2 lb lager malt
1/4 lb crystal 10
.5 oz Willamette @ 50/15 mins
.3 oz Liberty @ 50/15 mins
US-05
2 lg roasted jalapeños @ 5 mins and 2 more for a 10 day dry "hop" using the instructions given for their preparation.

1.050/1.010
4* L
20 IBU's
5.3% ABV

I suppose I ought to "lager" these for a month?

Is this technically still a cream ale?

I didn't have any more light DME.

The original recipe had a little wheat, which I was going to omit, but I was told it was a part of what made it so good.

It's using US-05 ale yeast.

I could go back to my original version and just be unhappy with the hops...

Back