Ranch Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrickyDick

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy!

Been a bit inactive as a homebrewer. Availability of great commercial beer is the primary reason plus none of my friends ever help me drink and its too much for one person. Also, I am beginning to suspect I may be developing a gluten allergy... That could eventually bring me around to brewing again.

I have been enjoying watching that Yellowstone show and picked up a four pack of some "Ranch Water" at the local store.
The kind I like is made by "Ranch Rider" out of Austin. I Like the Jalapeno flavor
I'm trying to replicate it. Keg and force carbonation.

So far here is what I have:

Target 6% ABV x 5 gallons.

3L Reposado Tequila
dilute to 5 gallons
12 limes juiced - previous early experience with citrus and brewing is that essential oils in the peels kills head retention on beer, but this is seltzer.
Maybe this isn't enough for 5 gallons.
Jalapenos - Juiced (Yeah I got one of those juicers but I hate it and want to sell it - boxed it back up, but I can bust it out for this) Not sure how many, maybe 12
Option would be to make a sachet of dried flaked jalapenos - I have some, but probably not enough for 5 gallons.

I'm thinking maybe some Salt will help the flavor. What kind of water are folks using? I was thinking to just buy store brand drinking or spring water, maybe sparkling water to speed the carbonation time though.

Going to be expensive to buy the tequilla so I really don't want to screw it up and dump it.

First stab at a "hard seltzer" but non-fermented since I'm using tequila

Last edited:
Since you're diluting it in almost 5x the volume of water, then add a bunch of hot peppers and potentially other stuff to it, I'd use a much cheaper Tequila. I seriously doubt one could taste the difference in the end.

You could soak a bunch of toasted oak chips or spirals in the (cheaper) Tequila for a week or 2 before adding.

Maybe make a small test batch first, to see if you like or hate it? ;)

Howdy!

Been a bit inactive as a homebrewer. Availability of great commercial beer is the primary reason plus none of my friends ever help me drink and its too much for one person. Also, I am beginning to suspect I may be developing a gluten allergy... That could eventually bring me around to brewing again.

I have been enjoying watching that Yellowstone show and picked up a four pack of some "Ranch Water" at the local store.
The kind I like is made by "Ranch Rider" out of Austin. I Like the Jalapeno flavor
I'm trying to replicate it. Keg and force carbonation.

So far here is what I have:

Target 7% ABV x 5 gallons.

3294ml Reposado Tequila
15530ml Water
12 limes juiced - previous early experience with citrus and brewing is that essential oils in the peels kills head retention on beer, but this is seltzer.
Maybe this isn't enough for 5 gallons.
Jalapenos - Juiced (Yeah I got one of those juicers but I hate it and want to sell it - boxed it back up, but I can bust it out for this) Not sure how many, maybe 12
Option would be to make a sachet of dried flaked jalapenos - I have some, but probably not enough for 5 gallons.

I'm thinking maybe some Salt will help the flavor. What kind of water are folks using? I was thinking to just buy store brand drinking or spring water, maybe sparkling water to speed the carbonation time though.

Going to be expensive to buy the tequilla so I really don't want to screw it up and dump it.

First stab at a "hard seltzer" but non-fermented since I'm using tequila
You could make a tincture by slicing and soaking the jalapenos in the tequila or some vodka for a week or so, shaking a couple of times a day to extract flavor and heat. That's what I do for herbs, spices, etc. That way you don't have to unbox the juicer!😉

Last edited:
Since you're diluting it in almost 5x the volume of water, then add a bunch of hot peppers and potentially other stuff to it, I'd use a much cheaper Tequila. It seriously doubt one could taste the difference in the end.

You could soak a bunch of toasted oak chips or spirals in the (cheaper) Tequila for a week or 2 before adding.

Maybe make a small test batch first, to see if you like or hate it? ;)
this is probably true

Per the official webpage of the Ranch Water I am trying to replicate, they use a 100% agave reposado tequila from Mexico they contract with. Just trying to copy so I think reposado I'll use, but I may make an experiment to see if I can tell the difference between reposado or the regular un-barreled silver type tequila. Seems to me that I'll need 2 x 1.75L and will have leftover. I see my local retailer sells a 90 point "lagado" brand for $32, so basically I'll need $64 for two. Not terrible.

Ranch water seems expensive after you add up everything you mentioned to get only 5 gallons of 7% alcohol. Looks like you can buy it for just over a $1 a can. Just over 53 cans in a keg so other than for fun seems like it is cheaper just to buy it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220717-110826_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220717-110826_Samsung Internet.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 0
Their website says its 4%. Most of the hard seltzers are around that. Legado is one of Total Wine’s brands and we buy that one. It’s decent, especially at the price. They make a reposado.

To go 4% you wouldn’t need much more than a 1.75L

2.3L of 40% alcohol (80 proof)
Mixed with
20.70 liters of water
Produce
23 liters with 4% alcohol

I just did very similar to this to make a seltzer on a 3 gallon scale. I used a 1.75L of lime flavored vodka (I got the Burnetts, I think it was about $12) and mixed that in a 3 gallon keg with water. Force carb. I added some additional flavoring. The calculator says it should be about 6.5%.

Ranch water seems expensive after you add up everything you mentioned to get only 5 gallons of 7% alcohol. Looks like you can buy it for just over a $1 a can. Just over 53 cans in a keg so other than for fun seems like it is cheaper just to buy it.

is actually 5,99% ABV. I’ve adjusted the ”recipe” to reflect 3L 80 proof in 20L/5gal is close to 6%

if it cost $1 a can I would just buy it, but it is significantly more, sold in four packs $13 each plus tax.

And actually, I may make it to a lesser % so as to enjoy more and have it refreshing. Can always add more tequila. I disagree about “wasting” a nice reposado. Anejo yes, but reposado, no. Similar to mixing scotch drink with a blend like Johnny Walker Red in my opinion.

Hmm. I tried to go back to www.sidewalkspirits today and they had 1 355ml bottle price is $12.99 when I pick 12 355ml bottles price is still $12.99 so I feel like they are messed up some how. That is why I though it was around a $1 a can. Shipping was $15ish so still not a super bargain if they would sell 12 cans for $12.99. Good luck on making your version. :mug:

Anejo yes, but reposado, no. Similar to mixing scotch drink with a blend like Johnny Walker Red in my opinion.
Agree with the premise ( anjeo, "Si," reposado, "NO"!).

But Johnny Walker Red? Is that really considered 'Scotch' wisky? Give me a good Islay or Speyside single malt (NEAT), but "mixing Scotch drink" and "Johnny Walker" are mutually exclusive items. Mixing Scotch with anything other than, maybe, a single ice cube is tantamount to a capital offense!

Agree with the premise ( anjeo, "Si," reposado, "NO"!).

But Johnny Walker Red? Is that really considered 'Scotch' wisky? Give me a good Islay or Speyside single malt (NEAT), but "mixing Scotch drink" and "Johnny Walker" are mutually exclusive items. Mixing Scotch with anything other than, maybe, a single ice cube is tantamount to a capital offense!
I agree 100%. Well typically I add a splash of water and occasionally ice, but I digress. No mixed scotch drinks for me. My brother in law likes rob roy, like a Manhattan but with scotch. In that case, use the cheap stuff.

Here's a bottle my son-in-law brought me back from a recent trip to Mexico.

20220718_115256.jpg

You probably can't read the label, but it's a reposada infused with jalapeño. You may notice that there is about "2 shots' worth" missing from the bottle. Quite tasty, but also quite HOT 🔥! Muy calore. Con mucho fuego!

It would no doubt make an interesting Ranch Water.

Here's a bottle my son-in-law brought me back from a recent trip to Mexico.

View attachment 775315
You probably can't read the label, but it's a reposada infused with jalapeño. You may notice that there is about "2 shots' worth" missing from the bottle. Quite tasty, but also quite HOT 🔥! Muy calore. Con mucho fuego!

It would no doubt make an interesting Ranch Water.

I bet it would make a good frozen margarita

I bet it would make a good frozen margarita
After the fire went out (post shots) I did try a small amount in some Margarita mix. There was just too much competition between the flavors to be enjoyable. I think straight-up shots might be the only way to consume this. I do like the taste of jalapeño and also habernaro peppers, but I'm not into heat as much as I was in my younger years.

After the fire went out (post shots) I did try a small amount in some Margarita mix. There was just too much competition between the flavors to be enjoyable. I think straight-up shots might be the only way to consume this. I do like the taste of jalapeño and also habernaro peppers, but I'm not into heat as much as I was in my younger years.

I had a spicy margarita in Anchorage and it was mighty tasty, so that is where I was coming from.

Latest posts

Back